PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6A going bad?

Ozzy88GTA
07-03-2003, 01:40 PM
What I have istalled:
MSD 6A, MSD GM Blaster Coil, MSD Tack Adapter, Wiring Harness

The car has died on me 3 times in the last month. The first time it died it backfired when tried to restart, then after a few minutes it started right up. The second time it was running while parked then it just died. I cranked and cranked and checked around and found nothing. If finally started after about 5 minutes. The last time it died was on the way to work just cruising at 55MPH. My friend who was behind me said he smelled raw fuel from my exhaust when it died. And just like before I cranked but this time it did not start. Later on in the day I tried to restart and nothing, then I decided to reconnect the factory connectors to the coil back on, and it started right up. Next at home I tried to start the car with the MSD connected and nothing, I then reconnected the factory stuff and it fired without hessitation.
I have been running this setup for well over a year and a half and it never gave me any problems. All mu connections are good and wires are tucked in plastic protector tubing so there is no chance of grounds.

Is my MSD just burned out for good or is there something else that I am missing. The box is away from the engine at the corner by the brake booster.

Thanks,
Ozzy

msdtech1
07-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Ozzy

Based on what you have described, I would suggest sending the unit in for inspection. It appears that the unit has quit according to what you have told me. Send the unit to the address listed below and they will inspect and repair it for a nominal charge.

MSD Ignition, Attn: Customer Service
12120 Esther Lama, Dock 5
El Paso, Texas 79936

Please include a note along with a return address and phone number incase they need to contact you.

MSD Tech1

Ozzy88GTA
07-08-2003, 05:45 PM
The enigma continues. I hooked it back up to see if it works and VIOLA!, it works again. This is just weird. I am going to run it a while to see what happens. One question, has there been a problem with these ignitions being in the engine compartment. I mean it's very hot in there and the environment is not ideal for electronics, should I relocate it to somewhere inside the car?

-Ozzy

msdtech1
07-09-2003, 08:13 PM
As long as it is not mounted close to the exhaust manifold you should not have a problem. I would definately check all your connections to make sure you do not have a loose wire some place.

MSD Tech1

Ozzy88GTA
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
I'll be checking everything. Thanks for your time.

-Ozzy

msdtech1
07-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Let us know how everything works out for you.

MSD Tech 1

TOYBOXJEEP
07-15-2003, 12:28 PM
I just added a post on another page and my problem is clost to the same please read mine and reply with help if you can

msd6al trouble ? post from TOYBOXJEEP
is it going bad

msdtech1
07-17-2003, 09:58 AM
You will need to perform a few tests after the engine quits to determine what is causing the problem.

To test the MSD unit follow the procedure below.
IF TRIGGERING THROUGH THE WHITE WIRE
Disconnect the white wire from the points or amplifier wire.
IF TRIGGERING THROUGH THE VIOLET/GREEN WIRE
Disconnect the two-pin connector with the Violet/Green wires from the distributor.
Disconnect the coil wire from the distributor cap and lay 1/4 from ground, this is where it will spark.
Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position, do not crank.
Take the white wire of the MSD 6 Unit and touch and release from ground, every time you touch and release from ground it will spark at the coil wire.
Take the Violet/Green wire and touch them together and then release them. Every time the Violt/Green wires are shorted together you should get a spark from the coil wire.
If you do not get a spark, make sure there is 12 volts at the small red wire of MSD. Check for 12 volts on the small gauge Red wire with a volt meter. If you have 12 volts on the Red wire, swap the coil with a different coil, it doesn't have to be new, as long as it is a good working coil.
Do the same test, if you get a spark then it was a bad coil, if you still do not get a spark then you know it is a bad MSD unit, but double check that all connections are good and tight.

MSD Tech1