PDA

View Full Version : Spark Test

slarson
09-16-2003, 08:05 PM
I recently install a 6A, Blaster 3, and a Pro Billet 85551 on my 77 Corvette. I do not get a spark out of my distributor, I did try the jumper test but was only able to get a spark when the terminal was closer then 1/8" away from a good ground souce, any futher away no spark. What does a weak spark mean?

msdtech2
09-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Try swapping the coil with any known good coil and see if you get a better spark, if not it could be a weak ground on the unit or the unit itself. If would be better if you do the spark test by jumping the magnetic pick wires, as it is explained in the instructions.
Thanks,
msdtech2

slarson
09-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by msdtech2@Sep 17 2003, 08:24 AM
Try swapping the coil with any known good coil and see if you get a better spark, if not it could be a weak ground on the unit or the unit itself. If would be better if you do the spark test by jumping the magnetic pick wires, as it is explained in the instructions.
Thanks,
msdtech2
I did the spark test as explained in the trouble shooting section of this site, I only get a spark at about 1/8 of an inch, no spark at 1/2. All way All the wiring is solid, 12V at small red wire. Is there any way to test the coil, I don't have another one to test with. :(

msdtech2
09-18-2003, 08:28 AM
The only test that can be done to the coil is resistance check, but if it is firing this test may show good, there are other test but have to be on a load bench with test equipment. You could use any coil it doesn't have to be new, even one that is running on a vehicle, as long it is a distributor type vehicle. Here are the specs for the resistance anyways,
Primary side is .7 ohms (coil positive to coil negative)
Secondary is 5000 ohms (coil positive to center tower)
Using a Digital/Volt/Ohm meter tests this.
Thanks,
msdtech2