PDA

View Full Version : Retarder Does Not Work

V12-Rover
09-16-2003, 03:13 PM
I have a #8982 Start/retard controller and I am having problems to get this set-up correctly
with my MSD8 dual ignition system.
When I follow the wiring schematic provided with this system and needed for the MSD8,
the engine does not start. When I test it, it flutters all over the place on my test plugs.
1 How should I wire this on my engine?
2 Is there a difference between a magnetic pick up and a non magnetic pick up for this?
I work with bolts, magnetic pick up?
3 When do not use the retard unit, everything works, engine does run good.

Please give me some pointers.

Thanks!

msdtech2
09-17-2003, 10:20 AM
In order to connect the Timing Control, the yellow wire will connect to the M+ on the MSD 8, then the cranktrigger will connect to the timing control magnetic pick up wires. Make sure that there is no wire on M- of the MSD 8. The other wires are just power and ground. The white wire is not used. Also make sure the engines is spinning fast enough, when adding a timing control it has to see so many pulses with a certain RPM.
Thanks,
msdtech2

V12-Rover
09-18-2003, 02:51 PM
How is it possible then I have it connected this way, that when I use the MSD tester,
going to a higher rpm setting, that it does not sound good?
Can you give me a schematic how I should connect it?

Thanks

msdtech2
09-19-2003, 10:29 AM
If you have the PN 8995, it will have a hard time triggering through the magnetic input of the timing control, the tester that will work through the timing controls is the PN 8998. Here is the link to the MSD 8 Instructions and will have a diagram of a timing control.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pn7800.pdf

Thanks,
msdtech2