PDA

View Full Version : Msd Sci Questions After Installed

antisystim
09-14-2003, 09:04 PM
i got done installing my MSD ignition in my 1989 CRX SiR. when i start it up it idles all funny; the tach jumps all around from just above zero to one 1/2. when i accelerate it's VERY slow, like there is no pressure in the intake manifold. eventually it starts to idle nice after it warms up. is this normal? also, i took it for a test drive and didn't notice a significant difference in anything. what exactly is this settup doing for me? i got all the goods; SCI, SS Blaster Coil, and the MSD modified dist. cap. so i got the whole setup. and this is the ideal MSD setup for a DOHC VTEC motor, correct?

msdtech2
09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
The purpose of the MSD system is to provide strong spark energy, better throttle response and fuel economy. The increase in performance and horsepower will vary, depending on the engine. If the engine is lacking the spark energy either due to increase in cylinder pressures, by adding a turbo or nitrous this is where the MSD unit will give the added spark energy and where you will see a significant amount of performance. With the idle qualities at start up, try resetting the computer and take if for a spin so the ECU can relearn with the MSD unit installed.
Thanks,
msdtech2