PDA

View Full Version : HO DIS 2 / Cam Sync Gen / Saturn

carcass
09-10-2003, 09:20 PM
96 Saturn SC2I finally recieved the Cam Sync Generator for my 96 Saturn SC2. I attempted to install it but as easy as it looked, the car didn't run correctly. So I disconnected it and put the jumper back in. Today I had R&D Dyno in Gardena (www.rddyno.com) install it along with an Apexi Super AFC II. They fully Dyno tuned the Super AFC but unfortunately I don't think they took the car for a test drive because it still does exactly what the DIS-2 did before I got the Cam Sync Generator.

Massive dip in power every time you hit the throttle in whatever gear you are in at any speed. Verry difficult to drive city traffic because at low speeds the car wants to shut off. The dyno sheet shows a short gain in power, then a dip, and then power all the way up again. MSD informed me that the Cam Sync Generator was supposed to solve this problem. Before when I disconnected the DIS-2 with the jumber the hesitation went away. Now with the Cam Sync Generator, even with the jumper on there is still massive hesitation upon acceleration.

Obviously the Cam Sunc Generator has not solved the problem. Is it possible that the HO DIS-2 is defective?

I'm bringing the car back to R&D Dyno so that hopefully they can pinpoint the problem. I have left a message and will find out tomorrow when I can bring the car back.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Qahhaar Hector.

www.carcass.onlineshowoff.com
Marketing Director: Hyper Motorsports

msdtech2
09-11-2003, 09:57 AM
There are a couple of things to check, when the cam sync is installed are you getting a steady LED light or is the LED flashing? Also are you getting the check engine light? If you are, see if you can pull the codes to find out what they are. Let me know.
Thanks,
msdtech2

carcass
09-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by msdtech2@Sep 11 2003, 08:57 AM
There are a couple of things to check, when the cam sync is installed are you getting a steady LED light or is the LED flashing? Also are you getting the check engine light? If you are, see if you can pull the codes to find out what they are. Let me know.
Thanks,
msdtech2
Ok. The official word from R&D Dyno is that the only thing that is giving problems is the MSD. We connected both units and got hesitation with every tap of the throttle. We then put un the jumper and still had the same problem. Next we re-connected the DIS-2 and disconnected the Cam Sync Generator. Same problem. Finally we kept the Cam Sync Generator disconnected and also applied the jumper to disconnect the DIS-2. Hesitation problem dissappeared. Obviously the problem lies in the DIS-2 itself. How do I go about either getting this one tested, repaired or replaced?
Thank you for your time.
qscii@yahoo.com

msdtech2
09-15-2003, 08:43 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Dis-2, although there may be a problem with the Cam Sync Generator, buy you have to understand the purpose of this unit. This is why I need to know if you are getting a check engine light “on” and what the codes are. The purpose of this unit is to trick the ECU that it is receiving a cam sync signal, if the ECU does not see this then it will produce a code of 0341 or 0342, which is the cam sync circuit. This is only done on compression stroke only when firing in cylinder #4; this is why the MSD Cam Sync is connected on the #4 cylinder. This is also why I was asking what the Cam Sync LED was doing when connected. The other is that, all the testing was done with a stock ECU with no aftermarket computers like the Super AFC connected. I don't know if this is affecting the dwell time with cam sync and may not even work for the Super AFC connected, since the Super AFC is piggybacked into the stock ECU. This is why I am requesting this information to see if we can get this figured out.
Thanks,
msdtech2

carcass
09-15-2003, 11:54 PM
The check engine light has come on every now and then. With the DIS-2 connected the codes point to the TPS. Once the DIS-2 was disconnected we had no problem the TPS. While at R&D Dyno we ran into another code that pointed to the map sensor. We checked it and noticed that the clamp was loose. We secured the connection and the code dissappeared. The only other code that we have found were from misfires while the DIS-2 was connected. Please keep in mind that I just installed the Super AFC II this past weekend and no new problems have occured. The hesitation has been there for quite some time. That's why I requested the jumper a few months ago.

The Cam Sync Generator shows a constant red light. No blinking or anything. As of right now everything is disconnected.

R&D Dyno and Saturn mechanics attribute the problem to the DIS-2. Is there anyone here in Southern California (LA area) that you would recommend to test this unit? I really need this unit to work for me because I am installing a nitrous system in the next week in preparation for the NHRA/IDRC finals next month at California Speedway.

Thank you for your assistance.

Qahhaar Hector.

msdtech2
09-16-2003, 09:15 AM
There is nobody in your area that can test this unit, you will have to send to us for testing. How old is the unit? Here is the address to send in for testing, if sending the DIS-2, also send the PN 8914 Cam Sync.
MSD Att: Repair
12120 Esther Lama Ste. 114
El Paso, TX. 79936

msdtech2

carcass
09-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the repair info. I have had the unit for about 10 months. I will send both units in for testing. Do you also need the DIS coil interface modules? PN 8870? Let me know.
Thank you.
Q.

carcass
09-16-2003, 02:32 PM
One more thing. What is the turn-around time?
Q.

msdtech2
09-17-2003, 09:22 AM
No you do not need to send in the PN 8870, just the Dis-2 and 8914 Cam Sync Generator. The turn around time is 8 to 10 working days.
Thanks,
msdtech2