PDA

View Full Version : SCI Installation in a Honda Civic

Honda Power
09-09-2003, 02:45 PM
I am installing the SCI ignition, along with the MSD Pro Cap for an external coil, MSD Blaster 2, and MSD 8.5 mm super conductor wires, on my 1994 Honda Civic EX.

The main question I have at this moment is, I can not find the connection in the care for the tach output on the SCI ingnition. Can you clue me in on how to connect this to my car's tachometer?

Secondly, because I am using your cap, I am curious if I can run the two SCI wires through the small hole in the top of the cap, down to the original coil's wires? Is this the intent, or can I at least use it that way?

msdtech2
09-09-2003, 04:03 PM
The tach signal is picked up from the igniter, so there is no wire that should be connected to the tach output. The wires that were originally connected to the internal coil should be connected to the MSD Unit, although you will have to drill a hole on the cap to accommodate the wires from the factory igniter to the MSD Unit. The hole on the top of the cap would not be a good idea to run through, since this is where the rotor is turning.
There has been a situation where the tach will not work and you will have to take the tach wire, which is a blue wire of the igniter, and remove it from the igniter and connect to the white wire of the MSD Unit.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Honda Power
09-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Wow, that was somewhat confusing...

So 2 new questions after that.

No need to use the tach, unless the tach no longer works, then I will have to take it all apart and rewire it again? But then if this is the case, I don't hook the tach out to the blue wire, I hook the blue wire to the white? The white is already hooked up to the blue/white wire, which it the negative that hooked to the original coil...

Also, I am now drilling a hole in the cap, near the bottom side, that allows the wires to go thru the cap, under that cover, and to the wires, all while avoiding the rotor? LOL, WOW! (Is this why there was a gromet included, for a hole in the cap?)

msdtech2
09-09-2003, 07:40 PM
If you have the MSD Unit hooked up and if the vehicle is running and the tach is working, then there is no need to rewire. But if the tach is not working properly, then take the Blue wire that is connected into the igniter and run this blue wire to the white wire of the MSD Unit.
msdtech2

Honda Power
09-09-2003, 09:11 PM
OK, I understand that. Now, if it doesn't work, isn't that hooking the negative (white/blue) to the blue?

msdtech2
09-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, that is just another way of getting a tach signal.
Thanks,
msdtech2