PDA

View Full Version : want to check tacho suitability

yorgo
09-07-2003, 02:27 AM
hooked up msd ok and runs fine.but have not hooked up tacho yet as just want to check and be sure.it says in the workshop manual that:
" the tacho is a pulse type which monitors the increase and decrease of DC current of the coil.the resulting pulse is converted by the transistor circuit of the tacho to register engine speed." Then it has big bold warning letters that: "the tacho is a negative earth type,if incorrectly connected,transistors and diodes will be damaged!".the wiring diagram shows that wire goes to neg. side of coil but also there is a wire for dizzy connected also as per original.I have put the dizzy wires to msd pick up plug and wired as per chrysler orange and black description in msd instructions so original tach wire remains disconnected.

CAN i connect the tacho straight to msd 6a box connector or do i need an adaptor? .I have already thought about an autometer tacho but as the car is for street driving i do not really want a big tacho hanging of my steering colum as it would attract to much attention if i was pulled over and the constabulary might think i have some kind of race car LOL!!!!.

If a diagram of circuitry would help can e-mail one no probs!. Many thanks again guys.

msdtech1
09-07-2003, 07:05 PM
You did not mention who made the tachometer, so I would like to see the wiring diagram before I provide you with an answer on this one. Please email it to me and I would be glad to look it over for you.

MSD Tech1

yorgo
09-15-2003, 03:50 AM
got mail from joe asking for fax number have sent off so hopefully we can sort something.mailed diagram to his address so he should have it. hope you guys can help. Tacho is a factory mitsubishi motors in dash tacho and vehicle runs electronic igniton standard.

msdtech2
09-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Joe should be able to help you out.
Thanks,
msdtech2

yorgo
09-27-2003, 03:27 AM
sorry to sound impatient as i know that you guys are always flat out but have not heard anything yet. Am starting to get itchy fingers to hook up but am stopping myself as do not want to damage tacho.If you guys need more info i can send it.Many thanks.

msdtech1
09-27-2003, 10:44 PM
I will check with Joe on Monday to see if he recieved the information that you sent him. In the meantime, can you private message it to me (MSD Tech1) or fax it to 915-858-3496. If you send it by fax I wont be able to get to it until Monday. Please make sure you mark it attention MSD Tech1.

Thanks,

MSD Tech1

yorgo
10-02-2003, 04:16 AM
after trying to add images to a pm for you no joy.tried printing out so i can fax but bastard printer won't play the game.sorry but till i get printer going again the only other way is to send e-mail to general msd bag

msdtech2
10-08-2003, 03:15 PM
When you get it working go ahead and send it.
msdtech2