PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6AL with Comp 9000 Mallory distributor

Fiat48
09-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Just did a new installation of a MSD 6AL using the existing Mallory Comp 9000 (Unilyte). The question I have is that mallory instructions have always shown to use a ballast resistor before power to the unilyte pickup to keep it from burning up. MSD 6AL instructions suggested to not use a ballast resistor. Currently we have the unit wired so that the MSD small red lead is on one side of the ballast resistor (before reduction) and the red wire from the mallory unilyte is wired to the reduction side of the ballast resistor.

MSD instructions show to just wire them all together and no ballast resistor. We'd like to do that but fear voltage redution may be needed to protect the unilyte. Is this o.k? Have there been any problems in wiring per MSD instructions that the unilyte modules have failed? Thanks!

msdtech2
09-04-2003, 02:37 PM
The way you have it wired up is just fine. Mallory has recommended having a reduced voltage to their unilite, and we recommend having full voltage to our system. I have not heard of the voltage damaging the Mallory but they still recommend it. If you run reduce voltage to the MSD Unit, this will create a problem to the MSD Unit within the unit.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Fiat48
09-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the fast reply! I will double check that we have full voltage to the MSD. :)

msdtech2
09-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Sure, no problem, thanks for posting.
msdtech2