PDA

View Full Version : Tach installation

shmian
09-01-2003, 09:09 PM
I have a 67 mustang with a 351W and a MSD 6A ignition along with the stock distributor and the pertronix magnetic points and flamethrower coil. I am attempting to install a Summit G2902 8,000 RPM tach. It has four wires; a ground, a power (ignition on), a dash light power, and a wire that is supposed to go to the negative side of the coil (it's green). I have triple checked the two power sources and the ground (all are connected properly). I currently have the green wire going to the tach output of the msd-6a ignition. i have also checked the the tach output, on the 6-a, is working by testing it with the volt-meter and it read about 2.5 volts with some very minor fluctuation.
please help me to get this thing working. do i need a conversion kit? thanks

shmian
09-02-2003, 12:05 AM
oh ya, i have tried to hook up the tach feed wire (green) to the negative of the coil, like the schematic shows, and it still doesnt work.

msdtech2
09-02-2003, 11:02 AM
You do not want to hook anything to the negative side of the coil, this could damage the tach. Since you are using the white wire of the MSD Unit to the Pertronix, you will need the PN 8910 Tach Adapter. This will come with instruction on how to connect the tach as well as the 8910.
Thanks,
msdtech2