PDA

View Full Version : No spark! Please help!

rmrichard7
08-31-2003, 08:06 PM
I have a 72 chevy C-10 pick up and If anyone can help I have a brand new distributor part# 85551 and have new ignition box 6-a and a new coil blaster.I have done all the tests to see why I cant get a spark to my distributor or out of the coil.I have tested the box by jumping the violet and the green and able to get a spark.The coil was tested and also it shows that it is good and my distributor is also good because it is the second one that I swap thinking that the first one was defected and pretty sure it wasnt due to that it is doing the same thing...... nothing.My wiring is all correct but I just cant get a spark from my coil to my distributor.Also another thing that is blowing me off is that when I check the voltage on the coil with the key on it shows something like 1 V and when I check it again with the coil disconnected the wiring from the box shows much higher V it seems like that the coil is draining my Volts or I just dont know .Please if someone can guide me to do this right or let me know what I am doing wrong.Thanks

msdtech2
09-01-2003, 12:35 PM
If you have checked the MSD Unit by following the Testing for Spark and you do have spark, and the distributor is good. The next step is to check for voltage when you are cranking the engine, there should be voltage on both cranking and in the run position. The other is to make sure that the distributor is actually turning when cranking the engine. These are the only things that could occur that will not allow sparking. That is everything else was check properly.
Thanks,
msdtech2

rmrichard7
09-01-2003, 01:25 PM
hi there and thanks for the reply just wondering where do I have to check for spark while cranking.Is it on the coil itself or on the wires im totally lost and very new to all this.And aslo how much voltage am I looking for.

msdtech1
09-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Remove the coil wire out of the top of the distributor cap and then llay the end that you removed about a 1/4" from a good ground surface. When you crank the engine, you should see a spark jump from the end of the coil wire to ground. If you do not see a spark, then put a voltage meter on the small gauge MSD Red wire and see if you have 12 volts on the wire during cranking. If you have no 12 volts, then you need to find another wire that has 12 volts during cranking.

MSD Tech1

RoyL11x7
10-21-2003, 08:45 PM
I have a similar problem and as I've read other advice from MSD tech on "non-firing" topic , all roads seem to lead back to the little red wire and 12 Volts.

I installed a MSD Super HEI Kit with 6AL (4-pin module) and I got my car to start and run for about 60 seconds at first, then it suddenly quit. Can't get it to fire since. I've checked all the connections, charged the battery, made sure I had a good ground, still will not fire. It passes the spark check from the coil but no spark at the plugs. All very frustrating.

I checked the voltage on the little red wire. It's 12 volts with ignition switch on and ~10 Volts when cranking. Is 10 Volts enough? I checked another 12 Volt supply (direct to Pos+ battery) and it also drops to 10V during cranking. Is this enough to fire?

Any help would be appreciated!

msdtech4
10-22-2003, 10:29 AM
RoyL11x7,

You question has been addressed in your other post.

Thanks,

MSD tech4