PDA

View Full Version : MSD DIS and MSD 7 w/ non distributor vehicles

west_minist
08-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi Tech support!

I resently tested the MSD Digital 7 Plus w/ HVC II coil with my Nology Wire and I am happy with the result.

What I want to know, can I setup the MSD 7 with a non distributor car with additional components?

I ask this question because the DIS and the DIS HO does not produce over 190mj.

If I use the DIS-2 or the DIS-4 w/ the HCV II coil, what sort of stats will I be looking at?

I do know of a supra that change to a distributor to use msd 7 technology.

I am thinking about getting a subaru w/ or w/o a wrx engine. I want to have 190mj. What can I use since the subaru impreza is distributorless and use 1 coil to four plug wires? I have plans to either use the Blaster HVC II per plug or the HVC II which I like.

Please help me here. I want to run 20psi+ on the car and I would be looking for that extra. I know what to do for distributor cars, but I have limited options with distributorless car. I will be using a Motec 4 or 48 in the future.

msdtech1
08-31-2003, 08:32 PM
The MSD Digital 7 Ignition has only one trigger input and one coil output. Therefore that unit can only be used on an engine with a distributor. Otherwise you would have to run a unit on each coil.
The DIS-4 High Output unit would be my recommendation for your application with the HVC-2 Coils. It would handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

MSD Tech1

west_minist
09-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Ok. But the energy per cylinder should be high since the spark is not split in to or distribute amount two paths.

But my question is that the MSD 7 does 190mj which may be 95mj per spark for one combustion cycle.

Is that right? If so, with the DIS 4 HO, I will be getting 170mj per cyclinder at any one time.

Ok. You have run the DIS-4HO with the Pro Power HVC coil. Is there any test on the HVC II? If so, please send me that stats.

Thanx

msdtech1
09-03-2003, 12:42 AM
The specifications on the MSD HVC II Coil are as follows:

Primary Resistance: .016 ohms
Secondary Resistance: 30 ohms
Maximum Voltage: 45,000 volts
Inductance: 250 mH
Turns Ratio: 70:1
Peak Current: 2 Amps
Spark Duration: 150 uS

MSD Tech1

west_minist
09-03-2003, 05:06 PM
I have those stats already.

What I want to know how that stats changes with the DIS4 HO when use with the HVC II?

All stats are from using the old coil.

msdtech1
09-04-2003, 11:25 PM
I do not have the spec's on the HVC-II with the DIS-4 HO at this time. The HVC-II was never intended to be run with the DIS-4 HO even though there are quite a few racers running that combination and it seems to be working great. I will see what I can dig up for you.

MSD Tech 1

west_minist
09-05-2003, 09:58 AM
That would be nice.

After all, I have lost my faith in Crane Cams to MSD.

Thanx

msdtech1
09-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Ok

west_minist
09-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Please do not forget me on this topic