PDA

View Full Version : Is My 6A Working?

90MustangLX5L
07-02-2003, 09:12 AM
I installed one of your 6A ignitons on to my 1990 Mustang LX 5.0L (MAF) and I was wondering if my 6A is working? I used the wiring harness to make the install easier and all the wires are connected to right places and I have a good ground and a 12V power source. The car starts and runs fine. Thank you for the help.

msdtech1
07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
If for some reason you feel that you have a non-functioning MSD Ignition Control, this simple test can be performed to determine if the MSD Ignition Control is functioning properly.

1. Make sure that the ignition switch is in the "Off" position.

2. The proper way of testing the MSD 6A is to disconnect the coil wire at the distributor cap and set the wire 1/4 inch from ground, such as the intake manifold or cylinder head. This is where you will see the spark. (Do Not crank or atempt to start the engine).

3. Disconnect the White wire from the MSD 6A, then turn the ignition key to the "ON" position, and touch the White wire to ground and release it. Every time you touch and remove the White wire from ground there should be a spark at the coil wire. If there is no spark, then the MSD is not working. If you get spark then this indicates the unit is operating.

Be very careful when performing this test. High voltage will be present at the coil wire.

MSD Tech1