PDA

View Full Version : Cant start with Key

StephenJHawk
08-29-2003, 12:50 PM
I have a problem that most likely has a simple solution. Here are my specs:

1964 1/2 Mustang 289 (uses a generator, not an alternator)
MSD Billet Distributor
MSD 6AL
MSD Blaster 2 Coil

My problem is that I cannot start the car with the ignition key, but I can if I turn the key to on and start it with a switch attatched to the solenoid. For some reason the motor is not getting any spark when I use the key (it turns over but doesnt start). I have a feeling this is something stupid I've overlooked. It runs fine once I get it started. Can you think of any way to get around this problem, it's annoying to have to get out of the car to start it.

Thanks!

msdtech2
08-29-2003, 01:54 PM
What is occurring is that the small red wire is losing it's 12 volts when cranking the engine over, make sure that this small red wire has 12 volts when cranking and in the run position. You may have to test this with a test light and see where you can get this switch 12 volt.
Thanks,
msdtech2

StephenJHawk
08-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the quick response. You were right, I just wasnt thinking. I connected it to the generator light wire and it cranked up. However, now that I can crank it with the key, I'm having engine run-on problems as described in the instructions. I assume that by wiring a ballast resistor onto that small 12 volt wire it will correct the problem. Thanks for your help.

msdtech1
08-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Your generator is still rotating and producing voltage when you shut off the key and therefore is still providing power to the small gauge MSD Red wire. This maintains power to the unit which is causing the run-on problem. Check to see if you have any other wires from the ignition switch that have 12 volts during cranking and while the key is in the run position. Does your system use an external voltage regulator for the generator?

MSD Tech1

StephenJHawk
08-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Yes it does use an external voltage regulator. I have been unable to find anything else that gets 12 v while cranking. I know i can fix the problem with a kill switch, but I'd rather get it working the way it's supposed to.

StephenJHawk
08-30-2003, 03:33 PM
OK, never mind, I figured out the problem. I spliced into the resistance wire (the big fat pink one if anybody else has this problem). It seems to work even though it only gets 7v while cranking (full 12 while key is in on position). Hopefully that wont cause me problems down the line.

Thanks MSD tech guys, you were really helpful and timely. I've had great experiences with your tech support in the past when I accidently killed an ignition box.

msdtech1
08-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Your welcome! I was just going to post some additional info for you on how to solve the run-on problem, bit it sounds like you have it all handled.

MSD Tech1