PDA

View Full Version : rust inside pro-billet distributor

bandit 79
08-27-2003, 06:26 PM
I have installed the pontiac pro-billet distributor on my 79 trans am this year. The car is strip only and garage kept. I took off the cap this evening to change the springs, and found everything to be very rusted. The springs were rusted to a point that the color was completely gone, and the pickup and stator were also very rusty. What is causing this? And how can prevent this from happening? What is your recommendation to clean this mess up?

Thanks,

Bill Douglas

msdtech1
08-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Was the car run during a high moisture period or was the cap exposed to wet conditions during a engine wash? If the cap had a high amount of moisture in it while it was run, ionized gasses caused by the spark jumping across the rotor to cap terminal gap could cause corrosive conditions inside the cap. If it is a light rust you can remove the springs, weights, etc. and wipe them off. A rag sprayed with WD-40 works well for this and adds an additional amount of protection as well. The MSD weights and shaft are QPQ coated to prevent corrosion. If you have excessive rust that is binding the weights from operating properly, I would recommend sending it in to MSD to be looked at and cleaned up. Are you using a vented cap on the distributor?

MSD Tech1

bandit 79
08-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I did not see a vent on the cap, it is the standard msd cap that came with the distributor. The rust is a light rust on all metal parts in the distributor, with the exception of the weights and the shaft that look clean. Would a vented or different cap help prevent this in the future?

Thanks,
Bill Douglas

msdtech1
08-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Yes, if you have moisture buildup in the cap and it is not vented it will encourage rust and corrosion to occur. A vent will allow air to circulate through the cap as the rotor is rotating and also allow the cap to dry out quicker. All current MSD Distributors are shipped with a cap that has a vent located in the very top of the cap. The replacement part number for this style cap is PN 8433.

http://www.msdignition.com/dist_56.htm

MSD Tech1