PDA

View Full Version : 6-off red wire

predator
08-26-2003, 09:14 PM
I recently purchased a MSD 6-off ignition, blaster coil and MSD 8577 distributor for a '78 F-150 4x4 with duraspark II. Due to the resistor wire under the dash it cuts down the + side of original coil wire down to 7 volts with key on (verified), shop manual then states that upon engagement of starter the wire is boosted to 12 volts, then when running 8-10 volts. Is this sufficent voltage to hook to the red wire on the 6-off ignition????? Tried to trace down resistor wire tonight under dash. Too many wires and hate to cut something out I might need. I may just possibly run another wire from battery on a switch to get complete 12 volts and to eliminate all the old wiring harness for the old ignition. Would it be adviseable to use an inline fuse for this??????? If so what size???? By running the separate wire, can I use this for my kill switch or should I run another wire and switch to the white wire for a kill switch?????? MSD instructions were easy to follow, it's the Ford wiring that is the problem. THANKS!!!!!!!!

msdtech1
08-26-2003, 11:25 PM
The MSD should still work fine with the lower voltage during cranking and in the run position. If after installing the unit you experience hard starting, run the red wire dthrough a switch and on to the battery and try it again. I would not install a fuse in the small gauge MSD Red wire. It is not needed. As for the kill switch, I would suggest running it to the white wire because that can be run seperately and hidden out of site.

MSD Tech1

predator
08-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks msdtech1!!!!!! Your reply makes me feel better about the install!!!!

msdtech1
08-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Your welcome.

MSD Tech1