PDA

View Full Version : what coil to use for 3000GT VR-4

mr-frodo
08-22-2003, 11:16 AM
I am looking to replace my stock ignition coils with some of your units, and have heard about some of my car club friends perform this.

But, I am not sure what model of your coils would work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, with DOHC V-6 Twin Turbo.

Thank you

msdtech1
08-22-2003, 01:56 PM
The most common upgrade for the Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo is to use our MSD DIS-4 Ignition Control, PN 6215. This unit increases the spark voltage and energy out of the coils plus gives you a second rpm limiter that can be used as a launch rpm. MSD does not offer a direct replacement coil for your application and therefore any of the coils we offer would have to be modified to fit your application. If you want to see what the features are of the DIS-4 you can download the instruction manual for the unit at the link below.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/dis2_dis4.pdf

MSD Tech 1

mr-frodo
08-22-2003, 02:44 PM
I really like the DIS option you mentioned, but can not afford the really hight cost, over $300.

A club member told me to use your model 8224 coil, to replace my stock coils. He said I would need three. But, I didn't see any pictures for the connectors on this coil, so I have no idea how or if the wiring would need to be modified.

Would this could put out more voltage, and create a stronger spark than the stock coil ?

Thanks

msdtech1
08-22-2003, 07:39 PM
The MSD GM DIS Coil, PN 8224, has its coil connections located on the bottom of the coil. Normally this coil is mounted on an ignition module plate that plugs directly into the bottom of the coil. There are two female receptacles (=) and (-) on the bottom that accept a male faston (blade)type connector. In order to use these on your type of application, you would need to space them off of the mounting surface in order to access the coil (+) and coil (-) location. You could also use the MSD Interface Adapter, PN 8870. The PN 8824 will mount directly on the Adapter and then you will have two wires that you can connect to.
The specifications on the PN 8824 Coil are as follows:
Primary Resistance: 0.35 ohms
Secondary Resistance: 7800 ohms
Max Voltage: 40,000 volts
Inductance: 4.2 mH
Turns Ratio: 80:1

MSD Tech1

mr-frodo
08-23-2003, 11:25 AM
AH, now I understand better. Although I have never heard of the adapter you mentioned.

Is there any way I can obtain more information on these two products, such as pictures and such ? Such as pdf's or whatever, so I better plan the wiring and installation.

I have found many places to purchase the coils, although I am still looking for the best price, is there anyplace that you could reccommend to purchase the adapter ?

Thank you

msdtech1
08-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Here are a few links to the MSD Ignition website that should help you. There are photo's, instructions and information. When you look at the instructions for the PN 8870 Interface Adapter, the part will have 4 wires coming out of it. On your application you will only be using two of the wires instead of all four. When you add the MSD DIS-4 you will then use all four wires.

Instructions - PN 8870
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pn8870.pdf

Photo and Information
http://www.msdignition.com/2000_10.htm

MSD Tech1

mr-frodo
08-23-2003, 05:02 PM
That is great. But I am leaning more towards just replacing the coils, as this is a much less expensive option at this point.

Any information on the 8224 coils ?

Thank you very much for the help
Now all I need is a job so I can afford it

msdtech1
08-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Here is a link to the MSD IGnition website where information on the MSD GM Dual Tower Coil, PN 8224 can be found.

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_9.htm

MSD Tech1

mr-frodo
08-24-2003, 12:29 PM
That is interesting, although it doesn't really give me much information on them.

I have to replace the coils as the cores on my stock coils are starting to rust, and I don't want to leave them to deteriorate.

If I used the DIS-4, can I do this with your coils ? So I could do this in stages. Replace the coils first, then the DIS-4 later.

It's a shame it's so expensive, or I would just do it now. It would be a great addition to my car.
There wouldn't be any laying around doing nothing would there ? Kidding.

http://home.sprintmail.com/~anthonymelillo/3000gt.htm

msdtech1
08-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Nice car! Yes, you can do the coils first and then add the DIS-4 at a later time.

MSD Tech1

mr-frodo
08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Thank you for the compliment. There is a lot of work in that car, and it is a blast to drive.

I just wish I could find a ob so I can afford to finish the work I started, so to speak.

I really appreciate the help on the coils. At least I know which direction to go in.

Do you have suggested vendors or whatever, so I can look for where to purchase them ?
Thanks
Tony

msdtech1
08-26-2003, 06:29 PM
I am not sure where you are located at, but in most areas there is usually a local speed shop that will carry MSD products or can order them for you. Also you can find MSD parts at a lot of the traditional auto parts stores like AutoZone, Checkers, Kragen, etc. and even in adds that are in the performance magazines.

MSD Tech1