PDA

View Full Version : 6M-2 Troubles

volitan
08-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello,
I have an MSD 6M-2 Ignition module, Blaster Hi-Vib coil, and Pro-Billet distributor in my 460BBF that has worked flawlessly for three years. Today, when I tried to start in in my driveway before taking the boat to the river it wouldn't start.
The battery has a full charge and turns the motor over just fine. Plenty of fuel. I have checked all electrical connections and found no questionable issues. There is no spark at #1 plug based on the screwdriver in the plug wire test. Also, no spark at the coil tower.
HELP!!! I have a road trip to Tower Park this weekend and I am kind of frantic.
As mentioned before, this setup has worked flawlessly for three years. With the exception of a very high pitched whine that I heard breifly this afternoon, there is no indication of the source of the trouble. The whine lasted about 30 seconds and stopped when I turned the ignition off. I have tried a few more times to get it to fire but all I get is cranking motor, no fire, and no love!!

Martin Thompson
Portland Oregon

msdtech2
08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Checking The MSD Ignition For Spark
The following test will determine if your MSD is producing a spark.

Magnetic Pickup Trigger:
If you are using the 2-Pin Magnetic Pickup of the MSD to trigger the ignition, follow these steps.

1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Off position.

2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and position the terminal so it is approximately 1/2" from a good ground.

3. Disconnect the MSD Magnetic Pickup connector from the distributor.

4. Turn the ignition to the On position. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE.

5. With a small jumper wire, short the Green and Violet magnetic pickup wires together then pull the jumper off. Each time the short is removed a spark should jump If spark is present, the ignition is working properly.
If there is no spark:

A. Inspect all of the wiring.

B. Substitute another coil and test again. If there is now spark, the coil is at fault.

C. If there is still no spark, check to make sure there is 12 volts on the small Red wire from the MSD when the key is in the On position. If 12 volts are not present, find another 12 volt source and repeat the test.

D. After inspecting the test procedures and inspecting all of the wiring, there is still no spark, the Ignition is at fault. See the Warranty and Service Page for Information.

Thanks,
msdtech2

volitan
08-19-2003, 05:19 PM
OK. The first time I jumped the pick-up it didn't spark but did "squeal." The next time I jumped the pick-up it sparked. I then put all the connections back together and tried to start it and it fired right up with no trouble. Fired up three more times and I have decided it is good to go.

However, I do have a question that might not make any sense. Aside from poor connections which doesn't appear to be the case, could this test-by-jumper method have cleared some kind of "open" condition within the 6M-2? The reason I ask is that I would hate to get stranded out on the Delta this weekend. Would you be able to give me any idea of the short-term reliability of the Ignition module based on what has happened?

Thanks for your rapid response. And for "being there" when I needed you guys!!!

Martin Thompson
Portland, Oregon

msdtech1
08-19-2003, 09:07 PM
The high pitch squeal that you heard was probably the MSD continuously firing from noise getting into the magnetic pickup wires and false triggering the unit. Check to make sure the Violet/Green wires are not close to the spark plug wires or coil wire. Also you may want to check the spark plug wires (especially the coil wire) with and ohm meter to make sure you do not have one that is not making continuity. If you isolate the noise/false triggering issue then you should not have any problems with the unit.

MSD Tech1