PDA

View Full Version : Why is my msd system not starting my car?

1971mustangconvertible302
08-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Hi, i have recently installed a msd billet distributor part number #8572 and a 6a msd igniton box to my 1971 mustang 302. I have tested all my wiring changed my coil to a blaster 2 coil and yet it still will not start. I have tested my wires and i am getting a intermittant spark. In other word it is sparking only once everytime the rotor goes around. I am not getting enough spark somehow. I have checked my hot wire that is running to the ignition and i am getting 12 volts(checked with a voltage meter). I have tried numerous times to change that wire to the solenoid to see if i will get a better spark but i dont. It should be starting! What are some possible reasons why it is not? Please HELP ME !!!!!

msdtech2
08-19-2003, 08:30 AM
There are a couple of things that need to be checked, the wires from the distributor to the MSD unit, make sure that the Blk/Org from distributor to violet on MSD Unit, and Blk/Vio to the green on MSD Unit. This can throw the timing off. When disconnecting the coil wire from the distributor and cranking the engine over, the spark has to go somewhere, so the easiest path is from the coil tower to the positive or negative of the coil. Also if you are getting spark this means that the units are working fine, it could be mechanical problems or timing.
Thanks,
msdtech2

08-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Both of those possibilites that you said here i have checked and the unit will still not start. I have the wires correctly set up and the spark is still firing delayed as if i am not getting enough spark. But i should have everything wired correctly and you are not giving me any other things that i could have wrong. Why arent i getting enough spark? It just turns over everytime. It is in perfect sequence but it refuses to start. I have the red wire to a 12 volt ignition wire. Heavy black to negative on battery, heavy red to positive on the battery- orange to coil-red to coil- white to nothign- and the magnetic pickup is to correct wires on the distributor. What is wrong? Should i have the heavy black wire grounded to the body an dthe heavy red to the positive on the solenoid? I have been told these are my problems by friends. Please help me!

msdtech2
08-19-2003, 12:57 PM
The heavy red and heavy black should be going to the battery no matter what, make sure the that the battery is going to the engine block and that you have another ground going to the chassis. If the vehicle is not properly grounded this can give you problems. If you put the coil wire about 1/2 inch from ground and it sparks, then you have enough spark. This would indicate you have timing problems.
You also stated that the orange is on coil - and red to coil -. This sounds as if the box is wired wrong.
Orange should be coil positive and small black to coil negative. These should be the only 2 wires on the coil.
Thanks,
msdtech2

08-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Shes ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! She started up tonight and is running like a champ sounds a lot peppier with the new 6a ignition, blaster 2 coil, and the billet distributor #8572. Thanks for all the help and hopefully soon i will buy again from msd. Thanks A lot for you help- Al

msdtech1
08-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Your welcome.

MSD Tech1