PDA

View Full Version : MSD FREAK OUT

billy427stroker
06-19-2003, 09:15 AM
as of last night ' since no one will reply back to me, I put the 6-AL on the work table and had all the voltage hooked up to a good power supply, along with my coil hooked up with a jumper from the the coil and 1/2 inch from ground for testing. I hooked the yellow wire from the Start-Retard box back up to the White trigger wire to the 6-AL. With NO 12v IGN on the small red wire on the Start-Retard' I touched the ground only to the ground source and it would fire the 6-AL. So' i opened the start-retard box up and started checking Transisters and diodes and found 1 side of Q82 shorted!!! Im not a "fly by night" i have been building RAce-engines for about 30 years and also done electronic repair for about 15 years also.
ps: can you give me a good cross part# for the Q82 ' or will you sell this item to me and how much? I haven't been able to cross this # in my MCM or Sylvania cross-referance. Hope this is the problem!!!! have 2 doing the same thing that went out the same day. Im still freaked out. thanks........

msdtech2
06-19-2003, 05:26 PM
If there is a problem with the start retard, I would recommend sending the unit in for repair, if the Q82 is shorted there must of been a reason. It would be best to send it in for repair. Especially if the unit is under warranty. Normally if a customer tampers with the unit we will not repair the unit. Another reason to send it in would be so we can do any updates to the unit. Even if the unit is not under warranty you are looking at a charge of $35.00 for any repair done and we can determine if there is any other part that may have caused it to fail or could even cause the MSD 6 Unit to fail.
MSD tech2

billy427stroker
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
alot of the MSD's i run across are from people that have bought these units from Race-Shops (as is). they have been opened up and looked in' so what else am i suppose to do but try to fix them myself, since you say you want touch them if the have been messed with. thanks....

ps: do you guy's care if i put up a few of your banners on my racing site?
And would it be ok to put up a link on my site to your Forum?
I live in Corinth MS' about a 45 minute drive from Comp-Cams/Lunati/ 30 minutes from TCI. Alot of good race tracks around here....

msdtech2
07-14-2003, 05:53 PM
If the unit's PC board is tampered with, then we generally avoid messing with it because this will affect our test procedures that we follow. If a customer opens up the back of the unit to look at it, but does not mess with the PC board then we will proceed with the normal repair of the unit.

As for posting our banner on your site and linking to our forum we see no issues at this time.

msdtech2