PDA

View Full Version : Possible Digital 6 problems?

cm88gt
08-16-2003, 08:23 PM
I am have been running digital 6 on my 88 mustang gt for 3 yrs.
When I am at the track the car seems to die for a fraction of a second right after I make a shift. Normally 1-2 or 2-3. It does not happen all the time though. Last weekend end while I was at the track the car was doing every pass. I then by passed the msd box and hooked up my factory igniton. made 4 passes and everything was fine. The car actually made its best pass ever w/o the msd hooked up. 3/4 MPH better.
I have checked all connections. plugs are new this year, wires are new(taylors) coil is 3 yrs old (MSDBlaster TFI). new cap and rotor this year. The dizzy is the factory 88 with 130,000miles on it.
Any suggestions?

msdtech1
08-16-2003, 08:27 PM
What rpm do you have the high speed limiter set at and what rpm do you shift the car at?

MSD Tech1

cm88gt
08-17-2003, 05:44 PM
My limiter is set to 7800 and I am shifting at 7000.

msdtech1
08-17-2003, 11:10 PM
It sounds like you have noise getting into the system from somewhere. Are you triggering the Digital 6 through the Violet/Green wires? If so, try moving the Violet/Green harness as far away from the spark plug wires as possible. Also, check your coil wire with an ohm meter and make sure you do not have a break in the wire. If you private message me your address, I will send you a replacement coil wire for your application. Please give me the length and the type of boots and terminals you need on the ends of the wire.

MSD Tech1

cm88gt
08-18-2003, 04:15 PM
I will try that. I will not be home for 2 weeks though. When I get home I will try that and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the help

Clint MacAulay

msdtech1
08-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

MSD Tech1

cm88gt
08-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Made it home early.
I am not triggering the msd through those wires, but I am running the Ford TFI set up with the MSD TFI harness.
Checked the coil wire it was fine.
While I was at the track i tried another coil wire, that is known to be good, with the same results.

The car actually almost completely died today. After my launch(top of 1st gear) is was like a rev limiter kicked it that was set to 1000rpm. I was in the gas but the car kept going slower, no power. This lasted for about 4 sec then it kicked back in and I drove to the end of the track normally.

Tomorrow I am going to go through my wiring again. I am going to try a new coil, and a TFI module.

Anything else to look for?

Thanks
Clint

msdtech1
08-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Here are a couple of things that you can try. First, if you are using the two step function (Blue wire activated) make sure that the switch that is used to activate it is not bouncing or making and breaking contact during the run. I have seen clutch switches and momentary push button switches that intermitantly make contact because of vibration or severe impacts. Also, you said that your low speed limit was set at 1000 rpm. The Digital 6 can only be set to a minimum of 2000 rpm. Try setting the rpm limiters slightly higher to see if maybe you have a dirty contact on the adjustment dial of the MSD Digital 6. Make sure you do not have a battery that is shorting out or slapping the plates together during the run. Try another battery to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes if the battery is mounted with the plates running perpendicular with the motion of the vehicle a problem can occur. This usually affects the car during the launch more that during the run. Let us know what you find after this weekend.

MSD Tech1

cm88gt
08-24-2003, 07:53 AM
My 2 step is set at 0 and I do not use it. The wire is cut snd sealed up.
The reatard is also set to 0. Which i will use once I figure this problem out.

"After my launch(top of 1st gear) is was like a rev limiter kicked it that was set to 1000rpm. "

This was my poor expalanation of what is happening. My limiter is not set to 1000rpm. That is what it did feel like though.

I will try another battery.

Thanks

Clint

msdtech1
08-24-2003, 11:20 AM
I understand what you meant know. Also, setting the dials to "0" defaults the rpm limiters to 12,500rpm which is ok. Let us know what you find after your next test session.

MSD Tech1

cm88gt
08-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Last night I had the car running in my garage with all the lights out.
The boots around the plugs and the coil had a good blue glow to them.
I also noticed some arcing coming from a couple of wires right off the distributor.
Since the problem seems to get better with the MSD box disconected could the wires be the problem. They are Taylor spiro pros and are less than a year old

I still have not tried another battery.

msdtech1
08-25-2003, 11:23 PM
A set of wires that are less then one year old should still be ok, but I would check the continuity of the wires that are arcing just to be safe. With an ohmmeter, check to make sure that you have continuity from one end of the wire to the other. I am not sure what the resistance is per foot of the taylor wire (300-700 ohms/foot?) but you should see some resistance across the wire. Just make sure it is not open. When you said you saw arcing, did that mean a visible spark or just a corona around the boot. If you saw arcing, that is not good. Make sure the spark plug wire terminal is pushed all the way into the tower of the cap if it is a socket style cap or if the cap is the type that has spark plug style towers make sure the wires are clipped on all the way. You may want to get some dielectric grease and smear it on the towers that are arcing to see if that would help.

MSD Tech1