PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6AL and Accel Supercoil - No Spark

Chi-Cong
08-16-2003, 04:44 PM
I have a 6-cylinder race dirt track race car wiht an MSD 6AL and Accel Supercoil model M18055. I bought the car earlier this year and am not the greatest mechanic. I tested the coil. Post-to-post it registerd 1ohm. Post to center wire, it read 12,430 ohms. Not too sure if this is good, but it is near the limits I saw on another site regarding how to test a coil. So - I'm guessing the coil is good. I also took off the distributor cap and there is rotation when I turn the car over.
I also did the violet and green wire short test mentioned on this sight for the Magnetic Pick-up trigger. I did not get a spark when I pulled the jumper off. I went on to the second part of the test. I have a question about step C in the secong part - "If there is no spark" section of the test. When I did this step, my meter did show 12 volts. Does this indicate that my MSD Box is no longer funtioning? Advice? I'm bummed. I was al ready to go to a race and she would crank. Never had this problem before. Thanks

85GT
08-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, I'm having similar problems so I'll chime in. Your test for 12V is for the key-on (small red wire) source for the MSD box. With the key-on, use a multimeter to verify the small red wire has 12v. It might be worth trying an alternative 12v source. If you did not get a spark from the MSD box when you shorted the violet and green together, then your problem could possibly be the MSD box itself.

Chris

msdtech1
08-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the clearification on the MSD red 12 volt wire test. Basically, all you are looking for is to see if there is 12 volts present when the ignition key is in the on position and in the cranking position. You need 12 volts on the small gauge Red wire in those two positions to ensure that the MSD is powered up. As for the readings on the coil, I am not exactly sure what the specifications are on your particualar coil, but the measurements that you read sound about right. If you are still not sure about the coil, you can swap the coil with a known good coil and repeat the violet/green wire false trigger test. If the box still does not produce a spark then it is most likely the box has failed. Return the unit to MSD for repair.

MSD Tech1

Chi-Cong
08-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks - I have 2 other dumb questions. When it says hold the wire 1/2" from a good ground, does that mean wiht the rubber boot on or do you need to pull the boot off and hold it 1/2 " from a good ground?

Second question - where would I see the spark? Would it be by the wires I am shorting or by the wire I removed from the distributor that is 1/2" from the good ground?

msdtech1
08-17-2003, 10:08 PM
All you need to do is place (do not hold) the coil wire so that the terminal is about a 1/2" from ground. You may have to slide the boot back a little bit to expose the terminal. You will see the spark jump from the end of the coil wire to ground.

MSD Tech1

Chi-Cong
08-22-2003, 07:06 AM
I did the test, and no spark. I ordered another MSD box and put it in. The car ran like a champ. Where do you send the old box to be repaired and how much does it cost?

msdtech1
08-22-2003, 01:30 PM
In case of malfunction, your MSD component will be repaired free of charges according to the terms of the warranty. When returning MSD components for warranty service, Proof of Purchase must be supplied for warranty verification. After the warranty period has expired, repair service is charged based on a minimum and maximum charge rate. (Contact Customer Service for current rate).
When returning an MSD product for repair, leave all wires at the installed length. Cutting wires close to the unit will void the warranty. Also, include a detailed account of any problems experienced and what components and accessories are installed on the vehicle.
Send the MSD component prepaid to the attention of:

Customer Service Department
Autotronic Controls Corporation
12120 Esther Lama, Dock 5
El Paso, Texas 79936

The repaired unit will be returned as soon as possible after receipt (usually 10 - 14 working days) COD for any charges. For more information on repairs, call our Customer Service Line at (915) 855-7123. Our trained technicians are available from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, mountain time, Monday - Friday.

Chi-Cong
09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
The second box just failed. I'm all ready to go racing for the night and the %$$##@@#$%^%$# dies while I'm still on the trailer. I'm through with MSD. Going back to something that actually works, is reliable, and is worth what you pay - a $45 HEI from the junkyard.

msdtech1
09-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Are you using an alternator on the engine? If so, you may want to check the regulator in it to see if it is actually regulating the voltage to the battery.

MSD Tech1

Chi-Cong
09-22-2003, 12:49 PM
No alternator. I'm even more disgusted with this product than ever before. Now, I called your Tech Support and since my initial MSD box is more than 5 years old, MSD will not repair it. For $200+, your product should last longer than 5 years or you should be willing to stand behind it and provide repair service for beyond 5 years. I was sitting pole - I could have won $500. AGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

msdtech1
09-22-2003, 11:23 PM
The MSD Customer Service techs would not have told you that the repair charge for an MSD 6 Series Ignition was $200. Here is the MSD repair policy.

If the unit is within the warrenty period then it will be repaired at no charge. If the warrenty has expired then the maximum repair charge for a 6 Series Ignition will be $65. Here is the information on the repair service.

Limited Warranty
Autotronic Controls Corporation warrants MSD Ignition products to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and if properly installed for a period of one year from date of purchase. If found to be defective as mentioned above, it will be replaced or repaired if returned prepaid along with proof of date of purchase. This shall constitute the sole remedy of the purchaser and the sole liability of Autotronic Controls Corporation to the extent permitted by law, the foregoing is exclusive and in lieu of all other warranties or representations whether expressed or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness. In no event shall Autotronic Controls Corporation be liable for special or consequential damages.

Service
In case of malfunction, your MSD component will be repaired free of charges according to the terms of the warranty. When returning MSD components for warranty service, Proof of Purchase must be supplied for warranty verification. After the warranty period has expired, repair service is charged based on a minimum and maximum charge rate. (Contact Customer Service for current rate).
When returning an MSD product for repair, leave all wires at the installed length. Cutting wires close to the unit will void the warranty. Also, include a detailed account of any problems experienced and what components and accessories are installed on the vehicle.
Send the MSD component prepaid to the attention of:

Customer Service Department
Autotronic Controls Corporation
12120 Esther Lama, Dock 5
El Paso, Texas 79936

The repaired unit will be returned as soon as possible after receipt (usually 10 - 14 working days) COD for any charges. For more information on repairs, call our Customer Service Line at (915) 855-7123. Our trained technicians are available from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, mountain time, Monday - Friday.

Chi-Cong
10-01-2003, 12:53 PM
I called MSD on the phone about a week ago. The guy on the phone at MSD asked me to give him a code stamped on the MSD box. I gave it to him over the phone. He said that he would use the code to find out how old the box was. He got back on the phone and told me that the code indicated that the box was manufactured in 1997. He said specifically, that since the box was older than 5 years old that MSD could not repair it. I said - "why"? He said that MSD upgrades the boxes every 5 years and no longer could repair the unit.

What you are telling me is inconsistent with the gentleman on the phone. My point is this. If you are not going to build a product that will last longer than 5 years, then why won't you at least supply some sort of repair service - even if it is for a charge. C'mon. it's not like I am asking you to repair a 55 chevy. This thing is only 6 years old and cost me $200 to replace. Not to mention the $500 I lost at the race track.

Man, am I ever down on your products and service.

msdtech2
10-02-2003, 03:39 PM
That is not true, unless there was a misunderstanding, if the unit is over 5 years and cannot be repaired then we would not be able to replace or repair the unit. But we have to see the unit in order for us to find out if it could be repaired or not. We have done repairs on unitís way older than that, just as long as we still have parts and could be repaired. If the unit could be repaired there will be a nominal charge depending on the repair.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Chi-Cong
10-29-2003, 08:04 AM
I sent in my box to the address for repair and have not heard anyyhting from them in 2 weeks. How will I know when the box is repaired? I gave them my phone numbers. This is brutal.

msdtech4
10-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Chi-Cong,

E-mail me with your name, address including your zip code and we can look up the repair.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

Chi-Cong
11-15-2003, 06:46 AM
The saga continues. I sent the MSD Box to be fixed. When I sent it in I also sent rev limiter. I asked that the box be repaired and returned to me with a new set of wires and rev limiters. The box was returned to me with a wiring kit BUT THERE WERE NO REV LIMITER CHIPS IN THE BAG. I wrote this specifically on a legal paper note and included it wiht my return. The gentleman I was dealing wiht at MSD was named Carlo or Carlos. Not too sure. The details behind me order are below. Can You send me the chips I paid for? Thanks.

Customer Number: 71615
RO Number: 115917
MDS Box Serial Number: 1159112

msdtech4
11-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Chi-Cong,

You where not charged for the parts bag. You spoke with Carlo and he mailed the parts bag out to you via first class mail.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

Chi-Cong
11-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Where does this stand?

Chi-Cong
11-21-2003, 07:17 AM
There are no chips in the bag! I had chips. Now I have none. I can't use the box wihtout chips.

msdtech4
11-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Chi-Cong,

Where there rubber mounts in the parts bag? The box will work fine with out the chips it will just not have a limiter.

MSD tech4