PDA

View Full Version : MSD Billet Distributer

spike6901
06-29-2003, 12:52 PM
The last piece to my igniton system is the old stock distributer. I have heard mixed opinions on weather an aftermarket distributer really nets any performance gains. Here is my current ignition set up.
1990 Ford Mustang 5.0
MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster 2 Coil, MSD wires, SVO dist cap and rotor

Honestly, would there be any siginificant gain in going with the PN 8456 over the stock distributer? I am running about 260hp now but plan on adding GT40x heads and cam sometime next year.

Surprisingly, the 6AL was one of the most siginificant mods that I have done so far. I actually droped 2-3 tenths in the quarter mile with this setup over the stock ignition.

msdtech1
06-30-2003, 03:00 PM
The ignition upgrade is by far one of the best performance upgrades you can do, and as your results indicated the MSD CD Ignition has done its job. The distributor is also important in order to maintain good ignition timing between all cylinders and to provide reliable distribution of the spark to the spark plugs. If your current distributor is worn to the point where the shaft has lots of side play, or the distributor gear to cam gear mesh has deteriorated then changing the distributor will make difference over what you have now. Granted, you will not see a significate performance gain like you did with the ignition, but it will improve the reliability of your system and eliminate the one weak link in your system at this time. With the stronger shaft and billet housing the MSD Distributor is a definate positive.

MSD Tech1

spike6901
06-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Understood. I can see that it would be a benificial upgrade before the heads and cam go in. It seems like a worn distributer (215,000 miles and counting) could prove to be problematic when high rpm come into play. I currently am shifting at 5500 rpm to get my best times because of my low torque curve with the stock heads and cam but will probably be shifting around 6500 after the engine upgrade.

Thanks for your help. I think it would be a good mod to do when the can goes in so that both the dist and cam gear are new and not "worn" into a pattern that could damage a new dist cam gear (it has happened to me before).

I rebuilt an AMC 304 years ago and put in an Edelbrock cam and a Malory dist. The cam and dist gears ate each other for lunch twice until I figured out that the cam gear was not engauged enough with the dist gear. I had to "adjust" the dist gear on the shaft with patients, a drill for a new pin hole to get it to work and then it was just fine. Is the stock replacement dist (PN 8456) ever run into these issues or does it come with as high or higer tolerences when it comes to this issue?

msdtech1
07-01-2003, 08:34 PM
MSD takes special care to insure that the distributor gear is correctly positioned on the distributor shaft. This is a very critical dimension on Ford applications and we use special equipment specifically for that purpose. The only issues that we see regarding the distributor gear is when a customer tries to replace the original gear with either a bronze or other aftermarket gear and does not position it correctly on the shaft. MSD distributors are supplied with detailed instructions on how to install a replacement distributor gear.

MSD Tech1