PDA

View Full Version : hot engine shut-down syndrome!!!

junkyard bronc rider
08-12-2003, 12:15 PM
I have a 1980 stang w/factory equiped duraspark ign. I had a 6A without a home so... :) Well anyway, the point or problem if you will is that recently, about a month ago, once the car has operated within normal oper. temp. for roughly 30-45 min. it begins to bog down, and loose ALL power. About two weeks ago I replaced the ign. coil, this seemed to fix the issue untill yesterday!!! :( I guess what I would like to know is the failure due to electrical issues in the MSD box, since underhood temp. can be quite high at times here in "LOST WAGES", i mean Las Vegas, Nv.
Or could it be that the 6A box is too powerful for a stock coil. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! THANK YOU
Sincerly... Waiting In A Pool Of SWEAT,
The Junkyard Bronc Rider! :) :( :) :( :)

msdtech1
08-15-2003, 07:36 PM
The MSD 6A unit should not be to powerful for the factory coil, but I have a few questions. Was the first coil a factory coil and what did you replace it with?

MSD Tech1

junkyard bronc rider
08-16-2003, 03:22 AM
YES, THE FIRST COIL WAS A MOTORCRAFT,FACTORY INSTALLED, THAT I AM UNAWARE OF AS I AM "SUPPOSED" TO BE THE THIRD OWNER.

AS FOR THE SECOND, IT IS AN AUTOZONE "WELLS" MADE STOCK COIL DESIGNED FOR THE EXTERNAL RESISTOR STYLE ELEC. SYSTEMS.

IN ADDITION WITHIN THE PAST FEW DAYS I GOT FED UP AND TOOK THE NEW COIL BACK TO GET IT TESTED. I ONLY LIVE ABOUT 1000 YARDS DOWN THE ROAD FROM AUTOZONE, SO THE COIL WAS STILL ESSENTIALY COLD, AT WHICH TIME IT TESTED WITHIN LIMITS, ALTHOUGH A FEW HOURS OF DRIVING AND "IT" OCCURED, SO IMMEDIATLY I PULLED OVER AND TESTED IT MYSELF AND LOW-AND-BEHOLD IF THE SECONDARY SIDE DIDN'T TEST ON THE HIGHSIDE BORDER.

NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK I HAVE??? WHAT SHOULD I DO???????
SINCERLY, THANK YOU,
BRONC_RIDER

msdtech1
08-16-2003, 08:40 PM
Try this! With the coil cold, remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and lay it about 1/2" from a good ground. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. Disconnect the MSD White wire and then tap the White wire against a ground to false trigger the MSD 6A. Observe the spark. You should see and hear a nice healthy spark each time you tap the wire against ground. Now, reconnect everything and drive the vehicle until the problem occurs and the coil is hot. Stop and repeat the above test to see if the spark is the same or has dramatically decreased.

MSD Tech1

junkyard bronc rider
08-17-2003, 01:11 AM
:(
THANK U, THAT I WILL REMEMBER 4 FUTURE REFERENCE, BUT I AM NOT USING WHITE WIRE STYLE SETUP FOR ANY TYPE OF USE. I AM USING THE MAG. P/U (GREEN/PURPLE) TO THE DISTRIBUTOR . ALTHOUGH YOU SHOULD ALSO KNOW THAT I RAN THE 12VDC "SWITCHED" (little red) WIRE TO A "TOGGLE" SWITCH,(RATHER THAN TO THE COLUMN),(this way i have used 2 times before,w/out fault) THEN ROUTED THROUGH STARTER SOLENOID. I ORIGINALLY GOT THIS ROUTING IDEA FROM ONE OF YOUR PHONE TECH'S BACK IN EARLY 2000. HOPEFULLY YOU STILL HAVE ADVISE FOR TESTING.

THANX AGAIN, :)
:( JUNKYARD BRONC RIDER :(

msdtech1
08-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Do the same test as I stated in previous post, but instead of using the White wire, use the Violet/Green as indicated below.

With the coil cold, remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and lay it about 1/2" from a good ground. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. Disconnect the MSD Violet and Green wires and then touch the Violet to the Green wire and then let go to false trigger the MSD 6A. Observe the spark. You should see and hear a nice healthy spark each time you short the two wires together. Now, reconnect everything and drive the vehicle until the problem occurs and the coil is hot. Stop and repeat the above test to see if the spark is the same or has dramatically decreased.

MSD Tech1