PDA

View Full Version : ignition woes

ralph
08-11-2003, 08:38 PM
i have a four cylinder turbocharged toyota. i cant figure out what is wrong with the ignition. here goes. i have a MSD 7al2 a three stage timing control and a two step. the carwas running fine and started to give me problems. i have changed every thing that is electrical in the car except for the msd components. every time i activate the two step(while the car is off and ignition on) it seems to send a feed back to the computer which sends a signal to the fuel pumps to cycle, this car has an aftermarket computer that i even changed.i changed the 7al but the one i tried was used. i also changed the timing control box which stoped it from cycling the pumps but it wont run right with the timming box hooked up the timming box was also used that i tried. has any one ever encountered this problem? if so please help i dont know what else to do i have even rewired the car and changed it to 16volts tring to fix this problem

msdtech2
08-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Make sure that the new timing control has been programed to a 4 cylinder application. Also what is the part number on the timing control? Let me know. Also let me know what type of aftermarket ECU you are using.
Thanks,
msdtech2

ralph
08-18-2003, 03:27 PM
the timming control that i have is part number 8972
with this one it sends the feed back
with part number 8970 it doesnt send feed back but the timming is eratic
they are both set for four cylinder on the 8970 the car back fires.
the ecu that i am using is a system called sakura engine management. this system is new and has yet been released to the market.
the other system that i tried is called haltech
they both do the same the haltech was on the car for two years and i never had any problems. i changed it thinking that the problem was the ecu then i changed it to another haltech ecu it did the same so that was when i canged to the sakura engine management. the ecu and timming controls are over twelve inches apart.

msdtech2
08-18-2003, 05:51 PM
On the timing control, make sure to install 0 degree chips on the stages that you are not using, or just make sure that the unused staging wires are grounded. The next step is to eliminate the MSD Units and just run the engine management system to see if the problem is still occurring. You may also try shielding the magnetic pick up wires if running a crank trigger system.
Thanks,
msdtech2

ralph
08-19-2003, 09:04 PM
I have changed the ECU, i even installed it in another car and it doesnt do it. the other car has a 6al instead of a 7al like my car. i bought the pickup wire that is shielded that msd sells. was wonderig which side goes to the distributor( the one that has the eyelet or the one that doesnt. remember that i am using the stock pickup, which doesnt have the same plug.

msdtech1
08-19-2003, 10:21 PM
The side with the male two pin connector normally plugs into the distributor, and the side with the female two pin connector plugs into the MSD Ignition. The wire with the ring lug is connected to ground and is normally closest to the MSD.

MSD Tech1