PDA

View Full Version : Ignition for 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan?

gom2711
08-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Hello,

I have some questions... I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan with the 3.3L V6. It is a real sled and is rated at 158HP, and is completely stock (I do have a K&N air filter). I am disabled and am limited to minivans for my transportation. Basically, I want to maximize what I already have, without doing any radical changes that would violate my warranty.

Would an MSD Stacker Ignition system make a noticable improvement in my fuel economy? In engine performance? I don't drive aggressively any more [sigh], so I am not looking for racing type performance.

Do you know if my vehicle has the distributor-less ignition system?

How much extra current does the Stacker draw from the electrical system? I have some extra computer operated adaptive equipment in my minivan and I don't want to overload the alternator if the Stacker takes a LOT of extra juice!

Would a new set of platinum plugs and high-perf ignition wires also make a real difference? If so, any recommendations on which plugs to use?

Thank you!

msdtech2
08-12-2003, 05:12 PM
When dealing with stock engine and stock systems, the factory ignition is doing its job, the MSD unit can provide a stronger spark energy for better fuel economy and throttle response, although you may or may not experience a noticeable difference. Your engine is a distributorless, so the proper unit will be using the Stacker Ignition, PN 7020. This unit will draw 1 amp per 1000 RPM, which is not much. When using an MSD Unit it is recommended to stick with standard plugs and as long as the wires are in good shape and condition, you should be fine. Although it will be hard to say the amount of performance gains you will get with stock engine.
Thanks,
msdtech2