PDA

View Full Version : MSD DIS-2 Question

fuzion
08-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Hi there, new to the board.

I have a 97 Pontiac Sunfire GT w 2.4L DOHC "quad 4" motor.

I decided to get the car ready for my turbo motor and go with a nice new ignition system for the car:

DIS-2 #6211
Coils #8224
blocks #8870

and a set of your 8mm Heli-Core wires.

The only piece that remained from the factory ignition was the Ignition Control Modulale that basically relayed correct firing order.

So i wired everything up according to your instructions and diagrams from fellow car clubs members and got it running.

it was a kinda a unique ignition setup for the car, and i was happy. But it didnt last.

The DIS-2 failed with in 6 months. When i replaced it, mine was sent out and tested and it came back as inop over 1200 rpm.

got another one, This time the car wouldnt start....interesting?

She would just crank and maybe get one cylinder to combust, but thats it, doesnt start.

the DIS is firing as you can see the LED indicator flashing for everytime its firing.

So i decide to check the coils....interesting....both coils on the underside at burned?

whats going on here? The coils are mounted on a aluminum bracket that is solid as a rock, the blocks and coils have circulating air around them and dont look like they are overheating.

the only thing left to replace are the coil interface blocks, but i do not see how those can go bad. None the less, if need be i can replace them. One of them is a little charred from a coil self-destructing. I can wire brush it and be done with it.

Please help me out here MSD techs.... I dont know what the prob is. Ive hit a dead end. Ive replaced all that i can it hasnt done me any good.

P.S: below is a link to how the system is wired.

http://members.shaw.ca/impala65/msd.jpg

msdtech2
08-11-2003, 02:42 PM
What I would suggest is to take the 8870 off and physically inspect them for any burnt wires or connectors. Check them for continuity with an ohmmeter and for proper connection to the module. If you have them mounted on an aluminum plate make sure that the bottom side of the 8870 Block is not arcing to the plate.
Thanks,
msdtech2