PDA

View Full Version : Bronze distributor gear

akob1938
06-27-2003, 06:02 PM
I am retrofitting my 1971 393 Windsor with a roller cam and I have purchased an MSD dist. with bronze gear. I have heard that these sometimes have short lives on the street-- is that true? I have also heard that there are modifications that can be done to ensure proper gear mesh and better oiling--are you aware of and do you recommend any of these? Thanks for the help--------Worried in Alaska

msdtech2
06-30-2003, 03:22 PM
The bronze gear does have a shorter life than the regular steel or iron gear. The bronze gear is normally used for race applications and must be checked periodically due to the softer material. If the motor that you have is a 351 Windsor that is bored out, then we do offer the steel gear, which is recommended for the roller cam. It is a PN 85834 Steel Gear for/ .531 ID Shaft. When installing a new gear there are certain measurements that the gear must be placed at for proper gear mesh, the instructions will be included with the new gear on how to properly set gear height. The oiling is normally done by the standard "splash" method, although it is recommended to use the gear lube that is supplied with the new gear for proper break in of the gear.
Thanks,
msdtech2