PDA

View Full Version : engine keeps rolling over

1971mustangconvertible302
08-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi, i hooked everything up correctly for my #8582 Billet distributor for my ford 302 and i also purchased a 6a ignition box. I mark where the rotor was and i dropped the new distributor perfectly in. I just think that i hooked up my spark plug wires up incorrectly. So should i lift the distributor cap up and see which spark plug the rotor is pointing to and see if the piston is up or down(should it be up or down?) And could it be because my spark plug wires are only 7mm? I am replacing them with 8.5 mm. It was turning over at one point but seemed to be mis-firing but it wanted to start. But then i went through all my spark plugs and opened them up a little bit more from 0.035 to 0.045 and tightened them and now it wont even turn over anymore. Can you help me? Thanks

msdtech1
08-10-2003, 08:59 AM
You need to see where the rotor is pointing to when the piston on number one cylinder is at Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke. This means that the piston is in the up position when both valves are closed. Once you do that all you have to do is lift the cap off the distributor base and see which terminal on the cap the rotor is pointing to. Mark that terminal number 1 and connect the number one cylinder sparkplug wire to that tower. Put the rest of the wires on the cap in the correct firing order. You should be able to start the engine at that point with very minimal adjustment of the distributor. After it starts set the timing with a timing light. If the 7mm spark plug wires are in good condition then they should not cause the engine not to start.

MSD Tech1