PDA

View Full Version : Shift Light Installation of a motorcycle

TraumaOne
08-07-2003, 04:03 PM
I am installing the Shift light (8952) in my 1996 Honda F3 motorcycle. It has two coils in it and I have the green wire to the negative terminal on the coil and the red on the positive side of the coil. The ground is attached to the frame. The light comes on when I turn on the ignition. I have all three wires on the back of the light clipped as the coil only sees two cylinders. The light will not come on however when I rev above the pill that is installed. Is this wired correctly for this type system? Are there any other trouble shooting ideas?

msdtech1
08-07-2003, 09:52 PM
The installation that you performed is correct. I would suggest placing a low rpm module like a 3000 rpm module in the Shift Light and trying it again. You should be able to determine if you have the correct clip wires cut for the rpm to read correctly. Also place a volt meter on the red wire going to the shift light and make sure you are truely on the positive side of the coil. You can also try it on a automotive application as well. Same hookup but you will need to connect the clip wires to recalibrate it. If the light comes on when you power up the unit then that tells you that the light is not burned out. It sounds as if the calibration for the number of cylinders you have is off or the signal on the green wires is not there.

MSD Tech1

TraumaOne
08-08-2003, 05:52 AM
I have tested the coil and am hooked up to the appropriate side. I have tried it with different calibration settings. I will try to place a smaller RPM module to test out again. Is there a way to test for a signal on the green wire? Should I be able to test this signal somehow with the engine running, or trying to start? Thanks.

TraumaOne
08-08-2003, 05:58 AM
If I pull the RPM module out and stick the multimeter probes in the slot and run the bike, shouldn't I be able to get a signal that varies with engine speed?

msdtech1
08-08-2003, 11:17 AM
No, that is not part of an output circuit and therefore it will not provide you with any useful information.

MSD Tech1

TraumaOne
08-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Success! All I did was switch to the right hand coil and now it works. No idea why the other didn't but at least now it functions perfectly!

msdtech1
08-09-2003, 08:21 PM
That is a strange one. No idea why one coil would be different then the other? Oh well as long as it is working for you.

MSD Tech1

TraumaOne
08-09-2003, 10:24 PM
No clue... The wiring was identical except for the change in sides. I am headed to VIR in a couple of weeks so I am glad I got this thing working... Thanks for the help again!

msdtech1
08-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Your welcome.

MSD Tech1