PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Mopar 340 ignition

msdmopar
08-07-2003, 09:40 AM
[COLOR=blue]seeking to determine what ignition will best meet my needs for street use 78 Aspen coupe with .040 over 340, moderate cam, Mopar Perf heads, Weind sgl plane intake & dbl pump 650 Holly carb, auto trans w/323 8-3/4 differential. Currently using Mopar Perf. orange box/distributor pkg, 8mm wires & Bosch plus 4 plugs

msdtech1
08-07-2003, 09:48 AM
First I would use the MSD 6AL, PN 6420, and MSD Blaster 2 Coil, PN 8202, to replace your Mopar Orange box and coil. These two parts will give you the most benefit and performance gains. Later I would add the MSD Billet Distributor, PN 8534, and 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires, PN 32749. This combination should cover everything that you need.

MSD Tech1

msdmopar
08-11-2003, 07:33 PM
MSDTech1:

Thanks for the initial response. If possible, I'd like to go a little further and get into some of the technical aspects of your advice.

Specifically, what would the recommended components provide? I assume a hottter spark and longer dwell angle resulting in a longer spark duration and more complete combustion with a few percent power increase. Obviously, I am contemplating the cost vs results. Please comment on these questions.

thanks,
MSDMopar

msdtech2
08-12-2003, 04:02 PM
The performance gains will vary from engine to engine and could get different results, keep in mind that with the MSD unit is providing higher voltage to the coil and higher RPM capability than a standard ignition. The more modifications done to the motor the better spark energy it will require, this is where you will benefit more from the MSD Unit as well as the other components.
Thanks,
msdtech2