PDA

View Full Version : Road and race ignition

Ant
08-07-2003, 04:37 AM
I am having built an overbored Dart block, AFR heads etc 347 Ford engine for my AC Cobra, this engine will have approx 550bhp, I need a compatible ignition setup, mainly road, and some Roadracing/circuit racing!

MSD-6ALN appears to be a better ignition than the 6AL, or is it mainly the Nascar wiring connector, which in my case wouldn't make any real difference? Also does it come with the same modules as the 6AL?

I want to use the Billet Distributor MSD-8582 Is there any special wiring to connect the ignition box to the distributor?

Coils, MSD-8222 Blaster 3 vibration coil is this the recommended/preferred one for the 6AL, or should I go for the MSD 8252 HVC Coil?

I dont know much about digital ignition, as this may be an option also?

Thanks Ant

msdtech1
08-07-2003, 10:58 AM
The MSD 6ALN not only uses the Nascar mandated Weathertight connector on it but is also full potted with a clear material to protect the unit from high vibrations and still allow for visual inspection by the sanctioning body. You can use the MSD Billet Distributor, PN 8582, but in order to plug it into the MSD 6ALN you will need the MSD Harness, PN 8866, that adapts the distributors connector over to the 6ALN connector. I would use the MSD Blaster HVC Coil, PN 8252. The peak current on that coil is 300mA versus the Blaster 3 which has 140mA. As for the digital 6, you would get the high speed retard feature on that unit over the 6AL along with a little more spark energy. 135 milliJoules on the Digital 6 versus 105-115 on the MSD 6AL.

MSD Tech1