PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer installation assistance-83 Landcruise

crucible
08-06-2003, 11:25 AM
I've recently installed a new MSD 6T along with a High Vibration Blaster coil for my 1983 Toyota Landcruiser (Fj60). It's a 2F engine, which uses a factory electonic distributor, but has an external "amplifier" mounted on the factory coil (I followed the generic foreign vehicle installation diagram from the installation instructions which worked fine).

Both work well and I've been pleased with thier performance, but I've lost my factory tach. I'm not sure whether or not I need a tach adaptor (and if so which one) or whether or not I can use the tach output on the 6T ignition box mated to the tach wire (something I'm not sure how to find). Or somethign else maybe.

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,

Chris Williams

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 11:35 AM
You will need to use the MSD Tach Adapter, PN 8910EIS, on your 1983 Toyota Landcruiser (Fj60). The adapter will supply your tach with the correct signal for it to operate properly. All of the wiring is done at the coil so installation is quite simple.

MSD Tech1

crucible
08-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Will do-thanks!

Chris Williams

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Your welcome.

MSD Tech1

Wixter
08-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Hello,

I recently did a similiar install on my1985 Toyota Landcruiser (Fj60), using the MSD 6a, and Blaster II coil. I also lost my tack and purchased the pn8920, which I understood to be used the magnetic pickup distributors.

After following the wiring instructions, my tach is still not working. I'm wondering if I've got the wrong tach adapter, or if I just misread the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Wicks

msdtech1
08-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Are you triggering through the MSD Violet/Green wires or the MSD White wire?

MSD Tech1

Wixter
08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Violet/Green

JW.

Wixter
08-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Bump.

crucible
08-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Another bump for Wixter.

MSDtech, the adapter you recommended worked-thanks. However, the violet/green cable did not come with it, nor did it come with the MSD unit itself and forced me to temporarily mount it with tie wraps right beside the MSD unit on the magnetic pickup connecting side (both pieces have those specialized connectors that come out from thier units maybe three inches or so only). How do I go about getting a cable with those specialized connectors for the violet/green connection?

Thanks,

Chris Williams

msdtech2
08-14-2003, 09:46 PM
In order to get an extension we offer a PN 8860, which is a 6 ft harness that can be connected between both. Or you can make your own connections as long as they are good solid connections.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Wixter
08-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Another question along this point,

I read somewhere, and I can't seem to remember, that when hooking up the green/violet pair to the magnetic sender on the distrubitor, that the correct connection would be the one that retarded the timing more.

I followed the instructions and connected the correct polarity per the wiring diagram, but reading that makes me wonder if I've got it right.

Can you confirm that for the 6a?

If I do have the polarity switched, would that disable or make the tach adapter (pn8920) malfunction?

Thanks,
--Wix

msdtech2
08-28-2003, 09:16 AM
The proper connection on the MSD 6A and the distributor are as follows,
Orange/Black go to the violet on the MSD 6A
Violet/Black go to the green on 6A
If these wires were backwards it will not disable the adapter it would just cause erractic readings.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Wixter
08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Then thats connected right....

Do I have the wrong tach adapter?

-Wix

msdtech2
08-28-2003, 03:20 PM
If you are triggering the MSD Unit through the magnetic pick up then the PN 8920 is the correct adapter. Make sure that the adapter is connected properly, since there are 2 ways to connect it. One is current trigger and the other is voltage trigger. Your application should be the voltage trigger using the violet on the adapter, red to 12 volts, black ground and white to tach output on MSD Unit. I would test the tach output of the MSD unit, using a digital voltmeter does this. The output on the tach should be around 1 to 5 volts. It will be up and down depending on meter. This is tested with engine running.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Wixter
08-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Ahhh...

I thought I was using the current trigger since I was using the magnetic pickup.

I'll give the voltage trigger a try tonight.

Thanks Tech2!

--Wix

msdtech1
08-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Ok, let us know how it works out.