PDA

View Full Version : 6T Ignition Installation - High pitch squeel

bmoeller1971
08-06-2003, 07:55 AM
I just installed a 6T ignition in my Jeep. It has a 283 Chevy SB V8 in it. Along with the ignition I purchased a MSD Blaster 2 coil. I took the Jeep for a spin after the install and when I get it up to 20+ mph I start to hear what sounds like a "muted" fan belt squeel. I also notice that there is not a lot of power in the higher RPM range.

I thought the problem might have been the ballast that came with the coil, so I tried it connected inline and once with out it. Same problem persists. Then I finally relized I had not checked the plug wires. The were KEM Mag's. I happened to have the box and it said they were kevlar core. I'm assumming that meant Solid core. So I have had the Jeep parked since then.

Could these plugs be causing the "squeel" problem? I'm still using the points distributor (I think it's Accel) that's currently on the Jeep. Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks...Brian

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Have not heard of this. We kicked it around the office and came up with few things you could check.
1. Check resistance of wires, they may be so noisy that the MSD PN 6400 is going into continuous fire. Make sure they are not solid core wires or do not have an open conductor. The Kevlar core is what gives the wires their strength, it is not the conductor.
2. Is the engine is running smooth or breaking up when you hear the squeal.
3. Check the coil to make sure it is mounted vertically and if there are any signs of oil on the top. It may possibly be getting hot and trying to boil the oil out of it and this is what he is hearing.
4. Check the cap and rotor and make sure there are no resistors in the rotor or in the cap.
5. It could be a phasing issue and the spark jump is what you are hearing.
6. Make sure the ballast you mentioned is not on the orange wire. With an MSD 6 Series Ignition you don't even need to run the ballast resistor. If you bypass the unit then you must put it in the 12 volt line coming from the ignition key to run the coil by itself.
7. Bypass the box and make sure the distributor itself does not have a bearing going out.

MSD Tech1

bmoeller1971
08-11-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the help. Problem solved, no thanks to me. First off after letting the jeep sit for two weeks, I went to start it and nothing. After a good half hour of cursing and troubleshooting I came across a not so obvious loose wire that was the connection to the 12v ignition source. Turned over then.

As for the squeel. When I went to make sure the coil wire on the distributor was tight, I noticed that the distributor was not. Easliy turnable in the hand, meant trouble when I took it for a spin. All the adjustments I was making, I neglected to completely tighten it and was definitly the problem/source of the squeel.

Runs like a champ now. I can feel the difference in power.

Never rule out user error :(

Thanks!!

msdtech2
08-11-2003, 02:30 PM
That's good you found the problems.
Thanks for posting.
msdtech2