PDA

View Full Version : AL 3 retard is advancing the timing

514 Ply
08-05-2003, 06:58 PM
The retard function on my AL 3 box seems to be advancing the timing at start up instead of retarding it...Everything is wired properly..What should I be looking for ???

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Check the polarity of the magnetic pickup going to the MSD 7AL-3 unit. Make sure the positive magnetic pickup wire is connected to the mag (+) terminal and the negative magnetic pickup wire is connected to the mag (-) terminal.

MSD Tech1

514 Ply
08-06-2003, 10:57 AM
They look to be correct...Vil=+ and Green=-...and coming out of the 8546 dist the black and orange=Vil and the pur=green...
If I switch them around will it retard my timing at start up or is the box unhappy?

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 11:13 AM
The color-coding that you mentioned seems to be ok.

Dist - Black/Orange to Harness - Violet to 7AL Mag (+)
Dist - Black/ Violet to Harness - Green to 7AL Mag (-)

As a test, here is how can check it to make sure that it is in the correct position.
1. Start the engine and check the timing at idle. Record the timing.
2. Reverse the to magnetic pickup wires on the 7AL 3.
3. Start the engine and check the timing at idle. If the timing advanced from you previous record then you had the wires in the correct position. If the timing retards, they where reversed and you need to leave the wires where they are at and readjust your timing. The position that gives you the most retarded timing is the correct wiring.

MSD Tech1

514 Ply
08-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Everything checks out OK. switched the wires around and it is at the most retarded position..that retard function is fubar...she a no works....I've always had a ton of problems with this box...
it's definitely advanceing the timing when engaged...any ideas on what I could try next

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 04:52 PM
I would like to take a closer look at your unit. If at all possible, I would like for you to send the unit in so that we can try to duplicate your problem on our test fixture. I have listed the address below. If you would private message me I will get you a return authorization number so that I can track it when it arrives.

MSD Tech1