View Full Version : wiring in a two step with my 6AL in a 92 civic

boostedhatch
08-04-2003, 11:37 PM
from my understanding, these are the necessary steps to accomplish this task:

-plug the two step module to the port for the RPM pills on the 6AL

-ground the black wire from two step to the chassis

-Unplug harness on clutch pedal bracket and jump the connector with a paperclip

-hook one wire from the clutch switch to 12V source on the fuse box

-the other wire from the clutch switch goes to the red wire on the two step module.

with this installation, would it eliminate the need to clutch in when starting up the car? if so, how can i retain this necessary step of disengaging the clutch to start up the car? i was advised to use a microswitch but, i don't know where to fit/wire in this switch to the installation steps i posted above.

msdtech2
08-05-2003, 08:42 AM
This would not be the best way to do the install, since the clutch switch is used as a safety feature to keep the engine from starting without the clutch engaged. It would be safer to find a place to mount the micro switch and leave the clutch switch alone. We do have diagrams on how to use a latching relay, which will only activate in first gear and will not activate in the other gears. If you want to take a look at a diagram let me know.
Thanks,
msdtech2

boostedhatch
08-06-2003, 02:24 AM
yes, a diagram would be very helpful. but, what is the difference between a latching relay and a microswitch? so, what you're saying is, the latching relay only starts the car when it is put into first gear?

i want directions on how to install the two step since the procedure i described isn't correct and i want the two step module to be installed without having to trade off anything else.

thank you

msdtech1
08-06-2003, 01:21 PM
The difference between the microswitch and the latching relay is as follows:

With a Microswitch - Every time you push your clutch peddle in, the two step module 1 will be activated. This will occur in every gear when you shift.

With a Latching Relay - The Two Step Module 1 will only be activated the first time you push in the clutch peddle. Generally this is when you are staged and ready to launch the car. For all following gear changes, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. the two step will stay in the module 2 position. At the end of the run the relay will be reset to repeat the process.

MSD Tech1

boostedhatch
08-06-2003, 02:58 PM
i see. very good info. could you provide me installation instructions for both the module and the latching relay? it would be much appreciated.

thank you.

msdtech1
08-07-2003, 09:39 AM
The information that you requested can be found on page 3 of the MSD Relays Installation Instruction sheet, FRM21825. Below is a link where you can download the complete document with the diagrams. You will need to look at figure 6 labeled "Connecting a Two Step from a Clutch Switch with the PN 8960 Relay"

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8961_8960_m..._msd_relays.pdf (http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8961_8960_msd_relays.pdf)

MSD Tech 1

boostedhatch
08-07-2003, 02:22 PM
thanks for the link. is a momentary button necessary if i'm not using a line lock? and what is the purpose of the momentary button?

boostedhatch
08-07-2003, 02:42 PM
i was looking through the diagram and comparing it to the picture of the relay PN 8960, and the diagram of the relay doesn't seem to match up to the layout of the relay. the diagram shows a total of 8 terminals, if i'm not mistaken, and the actual relay itself has 7 terminals.

http://www.jegs.com/photos/121896061.jpg

msdtech1
08-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Our new relay has 8 terminals on it. The diagram is correct in relation to the product we are currently shipping. As for the momentary switch, that is to initially engage the two step. When you press the clutch pedal in then the jumper wire provides twelve volts to the two step to keep it activated. When you release the clutch peddle then 12 volts goes away and will not be reapplied until the push button is pressed again. That is why this setup only works when you engage the clutch the first time and not on all other gears. After you push in the clutch pedal you can release the push button and the two step will stay activated until you release the clutch pedal.

MSD Tech1

boostedhatch
08-08-2003, 06:24 PM
sounds good. so, with the momentary button, would i have to concentrate on releasing the button when i release the clutch during the launch?

also, with this method of installation, does it retain the clutch safety switch where i would have to clutch in to start the car? that is one of my main concerns.

msdtech1
08-09-2003, 07:13 PM
When you push in the clutch, you can release the push button. The Two Step will stay engaged until the clutch is released. As for your clutch safety switch it will still be in the system. I do not recommend removing or bypassing it because it prevents the car from starting in gear which is a smart safety feature.

MSD Tech1

boostedhatch
08-11-2003, 01:31 PM
thank you, that clears up a lot of things. for the relay with eight terminals, is it laid out exactly the way as displayed on the diagram you provided me? from the diagram, it shows two wires from two different terminals going into one terminal (the terminal on the upper left hand corner) which is the terminal for the momentary button and which is supposed to be grounded, correct? in other words, am i supposed to put four wires (two wires from two different terminals, momentary button and ground) into one female spade connector to connect to the male spade connector from the relay?

if this is how i am supposed to wire up the relay, can you provide me other ideas as how to wire it cleanly and efficiently?

thank you

boostedhatch
08-14-2003, 08:29 PM
that was the last question. help.

msdtech2
08-18-2003, 09:48 AM
The 2 terminals on the left side are separate, they activate the relay, the upper one is 12 volts and the bottom is grounded. So when you activate the push button it will activate the relay, supplying voltage to the center terminals at the same time, which is activating the 2 step. Also you will activate the clutch pedal, which will keep the 2 Step engaged, so when you deactivate the clutch, it will not activate the 2 step going down the track when shifting.
Thanks,
msdtech2