PDA

View Full Version : 6AL buzzing

Marty
06-25-2003, 04:16 AM
I have recently moved my 6AL box and found when I plugged the + to the Tach adaptor the 6AL box buzzed.
It has been doing this for a while but tonight when I plugged it in the connection sparked and the buzzing stopped and the car would not fire.

Have I fried the Tach adaptor or the 6AL box?
It is a 6AL with tach adaptor 9810EIS in a 1987 Non Turbo 7M-GE powered Supra

I am in Australia so it is a little hard for me to send it to you.

Marty

msdtech2
06-25-2003, 08:46 AM
1. The proper way of testing the MSD 6AL is to disconnect the coil wire at the distributor cap and lay 1/4 inch from ground. This is where you will see the spark.

2. Disconnect the violet/green from 8910eis Adapter, then turn the ignition key to the "ON" position, and take a jumper wire and short the violet/green from the MSD 6AL, every time you short them together and release there should be a spark at the coil wire. If there is no spark, swap the coil with a known good one and redo the test. If you get spark with a different coil then this indicates a bad coil, if there is no spark it will be a bad MSD 6AL.
The PN 8910EIS will require special equipment for testing.
msdtech2

Marty
06-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks I tested it and it worked fine.
I am sort of double posting here but I have another problem with a BTM please see thread in installation section(6AL,8910EIS and 8762 BTM??)

Marty

msdtech1
07-09-2003, 07:18 PM
That's fine. We will keep an eye on your other post as well.