View Full Version : how do I replace the....
08-04-2003, 08:36 PM
magnetic pickup on the distibutor?
08-04-2003, 09:20 PM
I am not sure which MSD Distributor you have, but here is the most common method for most of the Billet Distributors without vacuum advance. 1. Remove the two SHCS that hold the pickup in place. 2. Remove the connector on the end of the pickups wires. Note the position of the wires by their color code. 3. Remove the strain relief where the wires pass through the distributor base. 4. Cut thru the silicone that is between the pickup and the side of the base. 5. Remove the pickup.
Before reinstalling the new pickup. 1. Remove all silicone that is on the base. 2. Position the pickup on the base and secure it with the two SHCS that were holding the old pickup. 3. Fill the gap between the pickup and the side of the base with silicone and allow it to dry.
08-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Thanks tech1. I have the billet distributor with the vacuum lockout. Doesn't the black thingamabob get in the way of removing the magnetic pickup?
08-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Since you have the vacuum advance version, then you have to do it a little different.
1. Remove the distributor gear (Chevrolet) or shaft collar (Ford & Chrysler) to allow the shaft to slide up in the housing.
2. Remove the snap ring that is located just above the advance palte (below the reluctor) to allow the vacuum advance plate to be raised. There are two snap rings in this location. Make sure it is the larger snap ring.
3. Remove the single retaining screw that holds the vacuum advance canister to the base.
4. Slide the vacuum advance rod from the advance plate and remove the vacuum advance canister.
5. Repeat the procedure in reverse to install a new advance canister.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.