PDA

View Full Version : Starter Saver problem

rogerfries
08-04-2003, 12:02 PM
I have a MSD 6AL ignition with a MSD-85551 pro-billet distributer with the advance locked down to 34 degres. I do have a high torque mini starter, but starting has been difficult so I added a MSD-8984 starter saver. With the loop un-cut (10 degres), it helps but only slightly. with the loop cut the problem is worse. I would think that with this setup I would need 20 degres of more of retard. Car runs great once it's started what do you think?

msdtech1
08-04-2003, 04:40 PM
How did you lock the MSD Distributors timing? Did you take off the weights and springs and then remove the gear so that you could rotate the shaft 180 degrees to lock it out, or did you lock it out another way? Let me know so that I can let you know how to fix the problem you are experiencing.

MSD Tech1

rogerfries
08-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I did it the proper way removing the springs & rotating it per the instructions. It is just hard to start especilly when the engine is warm with 34 degres advance.

msdtech1
08-05-2003, 05:12 PM
One thing to check is your rotor phasing when the start retard is activated. If your rotor fires when the tip is past or at the end of the cap terminal then it will be way past the terminal when the retard is activated. Make sure that the rotor fires as it is leading into the cap terminal. I would suggest modifing an old cap so that you could check the rotor phasing more closely. Start by drilling a hole in the cap right next to one of the caps terminals so that you can see the rotor tip as it passes by the cap terminal. Usually drilling the hole on the top of the cap works best. Next, attach a timing light on the spark plug wire that is connected to the terminal that you are going to be looking at. Start the engine and then shine the timing light into the hole. You will be able to tell exactly where the rotor is firing at. What you want is the rotor to fire right at the beginning of the terminal or slightly on the terminal. It should never be past the terminal when it fires. The start retard will make the rotor fire later, so you must make sure that the rotor is on the leading edge of the terminal to prevent possible problems.

MSD Tech1

rogerfries
08-06-2003, 08:02 AM
I can't do that right away as I do not have a extra distributor cap. I will order one if necessary, but how do you adjust the rotor phasing? Can you adjust it? I Never heard of rotor phasing before. I did not read any possable solution in the post.

Should I just buy a stronger starter motor? or go with the old time solution of a ignition kill switch turned on once the engine is spinning. I bought this starter saver because I realy want to be able to just hit the key to start with no special tricks and I thought this would do it.

msdtech1
08-07-2003, 09:02 PM
One thing that you may want to do is to check and see what your timing is doing during engine startup. Have someone crank the engine while you are checking the timing. See what if it is truely retarding the timing the full amount that you have the starter saver programmed for.

MSD Tech1