PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6A on 1983 Mercedes Benz V8?

SBolster
08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Greetings,

I've done several MSD installs over the years, but only on Fords!

Question--any details on MSD 6A installation on a 1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL (3.8 liter V8). The postive coil terminal has 3 wires, 1 red and 2 black (black wires look like they go to diagnostic connector). The negative coil terminal has 2 wires, 1 green and 1 black. Tach adapter needed? Which one? Has anyone done this install before? Car is in outstanding condition...just want to add a bit more!

Cheers,
Steve

msdtech2
08-05-2003, 08:51 AM
The MSD 6A could be used with the Mercedes; it will be installed using the white wire on the MSD Unit.
You will take all the wires on the coil positive and connect them to the small red of the MSD Unit.
Then take all the wires of the coil negative and connect them to the white wire of the MSD Unit.
This will leave you with no wires on the coil. Then, from the MSD Unit you will take and connect the orange to coil positive and small black to coil negative, these will be the only wires on the coil. The only concern is that one of the wires will go to a warning module, which I believe is only sensing current load on the coil. If you get the check engine light or warning light, then it will require the PN 8910 Tach Adapter. This will connect to the red and white wire of the MSD Unit.

SBolster
08-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm going ahead with the install. I don't think I'll get any "check engine" issues...but the diagnostic port may not function properly when I hook the meter to it (very primitive...1983... type of diagnostic port--no computer involved with it). Or maybe it will still read all the correct stuff right through the MSD 6A? Who knows...I'll check it out.

Cheers,
Steve

msdtech2
08-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Being that it is not computer controled, you may not have any issues. Let me know
Thanks,
msdtech2