PDA

View Full Version : 6AL,8910EIS and 8762 BTM??

Marty
06-25-2003, 05:04 AM
Hi
I have been running a 6AL with a 8910EIS tach adaptor for a while which has worked fine.
I have just brought a 8762 Boost Timing Master and am a little confused as to how to wire it.

I started to make a loom with the connections as
Oringinal trigger wire(- from Ignitor to coil) to BTM White
BTM yellow to Tach adaptor black
Tach adaptor Green/ Voilet to 6AL Green/Violet(mag pick up connector)
6AL Orange to coil +
6AL Black to coil-
All Reds to original coil+(+ From ignitor to coil).

This is on a 1987 Non turbo 7M-GE Supra.

Marty

msdtech1
06-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Here is the information you requested on hooking up the MSD 6AL, PN 6420, MSD BTM, PN 8762 and Tach/Fuel Adapter, PN 8910EIS to your 1987 Toyota Supra.

1. Disconnect and remove all wires that are attached to the positive (+) side of the coil and connect them to the MSD 6AL Red (18ga.) wire. Also connect the Red wire from the 8910EIS Tach/Fuel Adapter and MSD 8762 BTM to the MSD 6AL Red (18 ga.) wire as well.
2. Connect the MSD 6AL Orange (18 ga.) wire directly to coil positive (+). Note: No other wires should be attached to coil positive (+).
3. Disconnect and remove all wires that are attached to the negative (-) side of the coil and connect them to the Black wire on the 8910EIS Tach/Fuel Adapter.
4.Connect the MSD 6AL Black (18 ga.) wire directly to coil negative (-). Note: No other wires should be attached to coil negative (-).
5.Connect the MSD 8762 BTM Yellow wire to the MSD 6AL White (18 ga.) wire.
6. Connect the MSD 8762 BTM 2-Pin Connector (Violet & Green wires) to the 8910EIS 2-Pin connector.
7. Connect the MSD 6AL Black (12 ga.) wire directly to Battery negative (-). Connect the MSD 6AL Red (12 ga.) wire directly to Battery positive (+).
Note: the only wire that will not be connected is the MSD 8762 BTM White wire. Tape the end of the wire to prevent shorting.

MSD Tech1

Marty
06-26-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the wiring information.
I rewired as you described above and I also cut the White loop wire in the BTM.
Was I ment to do that as it states in the instructions that the Mag pick up and White wire are never used together.
The reason I ask is that it will not fire.
I disconnected it and tested the 6AL as per your desription and all was fine.
I then reconnected the 6AL with adaptor and it fired first go.
But when I connect the BTM it will not fire,not even attempt to.
Is there a way I can test the BTM?
Also if the dash mounted switch(for adjusting the amount of boost removed) has a broken wire in the lead
or if the switch is faulty will that cause this?

Thanks again for your time

Marty

msdtech1
06-26-2003, 04:37 PM
Since you are triggering the PN 8762 throught the magnetic pickup connector then the wire loop should be cut.
You can test the 8762 BTM very much like the way you tested the MSD 6AL. First disconnect the coil wire from the distributor and lay the end of the wire close to ground (1/4" or so), do not hold the wire. Disconnect the 8762 BTM 2 Pin connector with the violet and green wire from the 8910EIS Adpater. Turn the ignition key to the on position. With a small jumper wire short the violet and green wire going into the 8762 BTM together and then release them. Each time you short and release the wires you should get a spark out of the coil wire. If no spark occurs, check to make sure that you have 12 volts going to the small gauge red wire on the 8762 BTM. If that checks out ok then you may have a bad PN 8762 BTM unit.

MSD Tech1