PDA

View Full Version : Power Grid and Voltage spikes?

Beyond
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
How susceptible is the power grid inputs to voltage spikes such as those coming from a transbrake solenoid? This is just an out of curiosity question. I have to assume you guys have some kind of snubber circuit in it of some sort right?

On another note, apparently there must be a large capacitor in the either the 7730 or 7730 as I've noticed that the volage takes about 10 seconds to bleed off when the battery is disconnected. Does this mean there isn't a need for that big external cap you guys used to sell?

msdtech1955
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
How susceptible is the power grid inputs to voltage spikes such as those coming from a transbrake solenoid? This is just an out of curiosity question. I have to assume you guys have some kind of snubber circuit in it of some sort right?

not really, because of this...we can see if the micro switch was boucing
on the launch and burnout input circuits
( see example)
on this , you can see where the lauch limit was re-connected several times.

On another note, apparently there must be a large capacitor in the either the 7730 or 7730 as I've noticed that the volage takes about 10 seconds to bleed off when the battery is disconnected. Does this mean there isn't a need for that big external cap you guys used to sell?

well, yes the "main " cap on the circuit is for the coil output...and will do that .but, the purpose of the 8830 is to smooth out any battery input voltage spikes that may occur from an alternator or a battery charger.

msdtech1955
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
here is a "clean use of a tranbrake button not bouncing"

Beyond
07-23-2012, 03:24 PM
here is a "clean use of a tranbrake button not bouncing"

I don't think we're quite on the same page here. I'm referring to excessive voltage spikes like when a large solenoid is switched off. Like in excess of 100 volts, do you have something to protect from that? I have to assume you do, other wise there would be a lot of dead MSD boxes laying around. Maybe it's a rhetorical question...

msdtech1955
07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
o, yes :laugh:..the "kick back" from the coil ....will not harm the inputs /...
like the tranbrake and nitrous solenoids with the stage retards.:thumbup1:

did you run yet ?

Beyond
07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
o, yes :laugh:..the "kick back" from the coil ....will not harm the inputs /...
like the tranbrake and nitrous solenoids with the stage retards.:thumbup1:

did you run yet ?

Good to know.

No, I'm not running yet. Just about ready to test out your instructions on upgrading the firmware. OBTW - check the YB Forums, you have some major errors in the instructions for the ARC, need to fix those!

msdtech1955
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
on it .:laugh: