PDA

View Full Version : missfires at 2500 RPM

maxamil
08-01-2003, 10:56 PM
I have a MSD6 box, MSD Billet Distro running off of the violet white trigger wire, MSD 8.5MM supercunductor plug wires. The system ran fine for a few months. Then my engine began to form this terrible misfire. It sounds like backfireing but its not constant and it only does it around 2500 RPM. I looked under my hood and found that the violet/white wire that runs from the distro to the box fell on my hedder and it burned a hole through it. So I replaced the wire and the car still continues to missfire. I thought it was the plugs. So I replaced the plugs. Problem still exists. I thought it might be my cap and rotor, replaced both and the problem still persists. So i replaced the plug wires with another set of the same exact thing, problem still persists. I buy a new MSD6AL box, problem is still there. What do you guys think the problem is?

msdtech1
08-03-2003, 07:22 PM
When installing the MSD 6 Series Ignition you use either the White wire or the Violet/Green Wires to trigger the ignition. Never both at the same time. In your post you said that you where using the Violet/White wire. Which wire are you using to trigger your MSD Ignition?

MSD Tech1

maxamil
08-04-2003, 09:46 PM
sorry about the mixup i am using the Green/violet wire. The magnetic pickup wire to trigger it.

msdtech1
08-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Check the routing of the violet/green wires going to the MSD Ignition. Make sure they are not run near or alongside any of the spark plug wires. Also, the green wire should be twisted around the violet wire for the full length of the wires. The green wire acts as a shield against EMI that is generated by the spark plug wires.

MSD Tech1