PDA

View Full Version : Dodge ram 360

Moparman
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
I currently am running a 1996 ram with a 360, and i am looking to add the msd 6 box. what will i need to do this? Would i benefit from the coil as well? do i need to have both to see any improvements, i have some mods, and more on the way very soon. Thanks

msdtech1
07-29-2003, 01:39 PM
A good start will be using the MSD 6A or the MSD 6A-L, the difference is that the 6A-L has a built in rev limiter, and the MSD 6A does not. Performance on both is the same, I would also recommend using the PN 8873 Universal Wiring Harness. You will have to hard wire the harness, but once installed it will allow you to go back to the factory ignition if needed. The coil could be a good add on piece, but performance will vary depending on modification to the engine, the more modification done to the engine the more efficient the MSD Ignition and coil will be. It is not necessary to add both of them together, although the MSD 6 Unit will be the most benefit of both of them, the coil could always be added on at a later date.
Thanks,
msdtech1

Moparman
07-29-2003, 01:50 PM
What does the wiring harness consist of and how does it work with my trucks preexisting ignition system, also the mopar performance ignition control boxes are those for a totally different purpose or work in conjuction with the msd system? Thanks for the reply

msdtech2
07-29-2003, 02:10 PM
The wiring harness will have to be spliced into the factory wiring harness that is currently connected to the coil, once spliced in the MSD unit will plug into the 8873 harness by color coordinating to the MSD Unit. The Mopar performance unit is the same as the MSD 6 Series Unit, other than the Mopar is potted for vibration and waterproof, and has the Mopar name on it.
I have run into some cases where the factory tach will not work and will require the PN 8910 Tach Adapter.
Thanks,
msdtech1

Moparman
07-29-2003, 02:34 PM
What would i need to adapt the tach to the msd box, maybe some part numbers etc, what are the problems i will run into with the possibility of my tach not working with the msd box. You said the mopar box is potted for vibration and waterproof, but the msd box surely puts out more output as compared to the mopar one correct?

Moparman
07-29-2003, 02:37 PM
i apologize, i missed the part number for the tach adapter, thanks i appreciate the responses

msdtech1
07-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Your welcome.