PDA

View Full Version : Setting the gap b/n reluctor and magnetic pick-up

NTRxVette
06-23-2003, 02:04 PM
I have an MSD #8366 distributor. Just replaced the magnetic pickup and cleaned off the reluctor and painted it. When I installed the new pick-up, I simply siliconed the back side and screwed it down. I spoke with a MSD tech and he said the gap should be .0030 - .0035. When you screw the pick-up down is there a way to adjust the gap properly? It seems as if there isn't enough "play" in the apparatus to set the gap.

msdtech1
06-24-2003, 10:35 AM
The procedure that our production line uses to adjust the pickups air gap is as follows.

1. The pickup and the distributor housing should be clean of all silcone before attaching the pickup to the distributor housing.
2. Install the pickup and lightly tighten the retaining bolts to hold in pickup in place.
3. With a feeler gauge, adjust the gap so that it is between .0025 - .0035. Tighten the bolts holding the pickup and recheck the air gap.
4. Fill the gap between the pickup and the distributor housing with silicone and allow to cure before using the distributor.

MSD Tech1

msdtech3
06-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Also on the 8366 and 8367 distributors, the orange stripe wire connects to the N terminal and the purple stripe wire connects to the P terminal.

MSD Tech 3

NTRxVette
06-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the information, very helpful! I am suprised however, that the black/orange stripe wire (+) connects to the N terminal, and the purple stripe (-) connects to the P terminal. That seems backwards to me? The instructions that came with the magntic pickup indicated the polarities that I mentioned. Also, doesn't P=positive and N=Negative on the ignition module terminals? Just want to make sure because, when I removed the dist. from the car it was working (just needed a little cleaning) and I did notice however, that the wires were connected as MSD Tech 3 indicated. Initially I thought that they were connected in reverse, I guess that wasn't the case!

NTRxVette
06-25-2003, 12:04 AM
I set the gap, connected the pickup coil as MSD tech3 described and I still cannot get the motor to idle. It will spudder for a couple of seconds and that's it. Is it possible that I fried the ignition module since the pickup coil wires were connected backwards?

msdtech3
06-25-2003, 11:08 AM
On our magnetic pickups; the orange stripe wire is positive and the purple stripe wire is negative and would hook up as such to an MSD Ignition. However, when working with this "Ford" style magnetic pickup triggering a "GM" style ignition module, the wires must be reversed to be compatible. Hooking these two wires up backwards (reversed polarity) should not have damaged the ignition module. Check the magnet that was installed under the magnetic pickup assembly and make sure the black stripe on the magnet is facing the blue magnetic pickup. If it is not, the magnetic pickup will feel the "north pole" of the magnet before the "south pole" which will adversely affect the trigger signal.

MSD Tech 3