PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control Tattletale MSD Ignition Box?

cubicdollars
06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Davis Technologies Traction Control has been a hot topic in 410 winged sprint car racing for several years. Supposedly it is difficult to find as it is tied into the wiring going to the crank trigger, not internal to the box itself.

Is it feasible to make an ignition box that would be able to detect if the ignition timing had been altered instantaneously (retarded 20+ degrees) by a Davis device during the course of a race? With a type of internal tattletale timing tach, instead of rpm tach, if you will?

That way when the tracks send a winning car's box back for inspection, MSD would at least be able to let them know to be on the lookout as a deterrent. Just curious.

Thanks.

MSDTECH8
06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
What types of ignitions are you all running in the class?

cubicdollars
07-02-2009, 10:07 AM
What types of ignitions are you all running in the class?

Thanks for responding. Most teams in the winged 410 (methanol) sprint car ranks run this system... http://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-12-LT-Pro-Mag-Replacement-Magneto-and-Parts,6827.html

And this type of traction control... http://www.moretraction.com/TM9000.htm. If rpm accelerates too quickly it instantaneously retards timing up to 30 degrees. Both acceleration and retard settings are pot adjustable and Davis also makes a self learning model that senses rpm accelleration spikes throughout the race, and automatically compensates by retarding the timing accordingly.

The tracks confiscate race team's MSD ignition boxes after the races sometimes and send them back to MSD for tech, but most teams run this type of external traction control instead. I was wondering if a box could be designed that would be able to witness spikes in timing retard, so at least it would be known that traction control was being used or not? Even if it wasn't installed in the ignition box itself? A tattletale box if you will. Just curious if it even is a possibility....if it could even be done or not.

Thanks.

gw22
07-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I like the way you are thinking on that one - I hadn't thought of it that way.

That way you'd be able to tell what's been going on regardless of whether they unplugged a module or not - I like it!

gw22
07-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Is there a way to read timing advance and record it in the dashhawk unit?

It would be ideal if you could wire in a lead inline just before the distributor to catch any changes in timing.

cubicdollars
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.williamsgrove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25852

gw22
07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
There's some good trashing inside those links, but also good points.

MSD did say they would check any MSD box we sent to them to get tested. However, if they are running an external device, I'm not sure they could tell us much, or at most maybe say there were some probes done from outside the box.

I still say if there was a standalone box that could be made that a sanction could plug inline into a distributor just before it goes out for the main, and take it back after, I think it would have to kill all these remote TC boxes Davis is putting out there. A club could buy maybe 3 of these boxes and rotate it through the cars at each event. Hell, even make some dummy boxes so you plug them into every car and no-one knows who has the good one!

cubicdollars
07-24-2009, 06:52 AM
I also wonder if they could just incorporate a timing delay into the box? The Davis traction control system instananeously retards the timing until the engine stops zinging. If the timing was held more constant with an inductive delay you would think it would negate Davis' traction control somewhat because it would kick in too late.