PDA

View Full Version : msd 4217 need help..

tripledsracing
06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
i have a drag raptor and installed this and the bike revs great but when we put the bike in gear and launch about 60ft it falls on its face and it sounds like the rev limiter kicks in so any help would be appreciated..also we have a stock harness on the bike and hook it up and it works flawless which has a stumped..but here is a few post of a guy that has been helping me and hopefully this will help describe what the ignition is set on and such...

tripledsracing
06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
1st post:..it's a 330 ohm resistor and it's been installed between the pickup wires. No change after installing the resistor, acts exactly the same.

The launch and max rev limits are set to 10K rpm but when the machine is running and hooked to the laptop, it seems like the ignition is reading a higher rpm than the motor is actually turning. Launch limiter is not hooked up. Could the ignition be reading 2 pulses for every revolution and turning on the max rev limiter at 5K motor rpm (10K MSD rpm)? I didn't see anywhere in the programming software to change the number of pulses per revolution, only to switch between crank or cam pickup and it's set to crank.

Both WOTA and WOTB (TPS) curves are set exactly the same.

Pulse width is set to 62.

2nd post:...It can't be fuel because changing over to a stock ignition harness/CDI works fine with no changes to the motor/carb. Unless the MSD is burning so much hotter than the stock ignition that it's causing a super lean condition?

I suggested that he increase the programmable rev limits to max and see if that changed the symptoms. That would at least eliminate the rev limiter functions.

The spark is strong as hell when the motor is turned over with a 24v starter cart connected directly to the starter but there is no load on the motor then.

The charging circuit is hooked up on this machine and I've tried different batteries but they were all the same type. Maybe trying a different type of battery is worth a shot.

Unplugging the stator leads might also be worth trying to see if there is interference between the stator coils and the pickup that the MSD is sensing but the stock CDI doesn't.

The pickup gap is a good thought too, how would a person check it?

tripledsracing
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
another post.....

It has the stock Raptor 660 curve programmed in it.

The motor revs fine in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled. When you dump the clutch and start down the track, it launches normally and then falls on its face like a rev limiter is kicking in somewhere in the 4K-5K rpm range (no tach). Swapping over to a different ignition, a stock harness and CDI that's also installed on the bike, makes it run fine all the way to the factory rev limit.

tripledsracing
06-10-2009, 09:08 PM
anybody?...:confused1:

tripledsracing
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
been 3 days and havent heard anything..i sent a pm to the tech guy and nothing neither..

tripledsracing
06-14-2009, 06:56 PM
my god u pay a fortune for a ignition and cant get no help..:thumbdown:

tripledsracing
06-17-2009, 03:19 PM
tell me something!!!..id be happy with a go to hell..

tripledsracing
06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
9-10 days and 2 emails and not a responce back and i know they have read this so i guess il buy a dyna ignition and be done with it but i promise you this il never buy a msd ign ever again and all my buddies will be told they are junk..

msdpstech1
06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Hello,
First I would like to apologize for the delay in response to your question....sorry about that. Would it be possible to give me a call at your convenience? You can reach me at 888-258-3835 ext. 2808 or I can call you if you would prefer that. You can e-mail me your contact information at bkugler@msdignition.com. Thanks, Bret-MSD Powersports

tripledsracing
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
thanks for calling and helping me out i appreciate and il recommend you guys to everyone:thumbup:

wax
06-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Can you let me know what they did to fix the issue
I am having the same issue here and its drving me crazy
I have tried everything. Im at the point of taking the ignition off and admitting defeat

wax
06-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I gave it one last effort
I tried the resistor in the purple and green wire
I tried different coils
I tried different pickups
No luck
I tried another brand of cdi
Instant success

Thats $350 and 8 hours I will never get back. Thanks msd
This is the very same thing my engine does like its on the rev limiter at that rpm it then clears it and goes
I believe for your next version of the msd4217 you put in better shielding so the next people dont have the same issue

another post.....

The motor revs fine in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled. When you dump the clutch and start down the track, it launches normally and then falls on its face like a rev limiter is kicking in somewhere in the 4K-5K rpm range (no tach). Swapping over to a different ignition, a stock harness and CDI that's also installed on the bike, makes it run fine all the way to the factory rev limit.

another post.....

blueranger660
11-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm, nobody posting a solution to the problem?

blueranger660
03-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Wow, it's 3-20-14 and no reply for the racing community and no explanation as to what caused the problem.
I bought the MSD 4217 because i was between a rock and a hard place with the LTR 450 on carburetor. I couldn't get the gremlins out of the factory CDI after switching from fuel injection (riddled with problems) to carburetor. I did finally get the MSD to work but starting the bike is almost impossible. In order to use the OEM battery and starter I had to run the bike exceptionally lean on the pilot and idle circuit. Also, I had to develop a remote starter pigtail so I could crank the bike with a truck battery which isn't the easiest thing to carry around the track.
The 4217 is a dinosaur and needs to address basic expectations from the racing community like, will your bike actually start with the existing battery and starter? and why not supply some basic, generic ignition curves for us to choose from like everyone else who sells ignition systems instead of searching the internet until you find Dyatek curves and manually write them into the two graphs using the software package.
Still waiting for an explanation as to why the OP had his original problem.

msdtech1955
03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
915-857-5200 ext 1105