PDA

View Full Version : Programming boost retard

brianj5600
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I am installing a programmable MSD box this week and looking at some of the cool features. I have been playing with the Pro Data software, but would like the advice of some people that have been doing it for a while. 351w, 9:1, AFR185's, 228* .512" 112lsa, TorkerII, Holley/proform home built, EV, MPT70, 10psi no cooler, C4, 3.08 gear.

I am curious if I should pull timing at degrees per pound (linear) or pull less at the low end of the gragh and more as boost rises?

I am also curious what to do with timing on the 2 step. I have heard leave it in and retard it on the 2 step. I don't have a transbrake yet and can foot brake it to about 2400. Do you think it will help at that low of RPM? Or be harder on parts than a 2 step at 3000? Should I be at WOT on the 2 step?

Can I use the output wire from the map to datalog on my Dynojet WBO2 w/o affecting the signal to the ignition box.

Thanks, Brian

msdtech21
07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
I am curious if I should pull timing at degrees per pound (linear) or pull less at the low end of the gragh and more as boost rises?

That really depends on the combination. Each motor is going to be different. Start with a 1 to 1 ratio and see what the plugs look like. The main thing you're trying to avoid is detonation. Keep throwing a little bit of timing at it until it starts to detonate and then back off.

I am also curious what to do with timing on the 2 step. I have heard leave it in and retard it on the 2 step. I don't have a transbrake yet and can foot brake it to about 2400. Do you think it will help at that low of RPM? Or be harder on parts than a 2 step at 3000? Should I be at WOT on the 2 step?

Sure thats pretty common on turbo applications help the engine build boost right off of the line. Just remember your spooling the turbo and coming off of the line in boost. As far as flooring it, yes stage and mash the pedal.

Can I use the output wire from the map to datalog on my Dynojet WBO2 w/o affecting the signal to the ignition box.

For the most acurate/consistant results use two different MAP sensors. Were talking about a 0v-5v signal and it wouldn't take much to throw the signal off.

Thanks,
MSDTECH21