PDA

View Full Version : Choosing distributor & ignition box

upland8
06-21-2003, 07:35 PM
I have a '71 chevy nova with a 350, holley 650 4bbl double pumper, performer air-gap intake, 268H comp cam, 2.02"-1.60" iron heads, 1.6 roller rockers, 1.625" super comp headers, and a stock points distributor with all the original ignition wiring. I want to upgrade to one of your distributors and ignition boxes. What is the difference between the HEI distributors and all your others, besides the size? Will one of your HEI distributors fit without hitting the firewall? I would greatly appreciate your advice in choosing the best equipment for my application. The nova is a daily driver and rarely sees anything over 6000 rpms.
My e-mail address is upland8@yahoo.com.

thank you for your help
graham

msdtech1
06-24-2003, 10:20 AM
The MSD GM HEI Distributor, PN 8365 is a ready-to-run assembly that includes a high output inductive style ignition module and coil all in one unit. Basically all you need to connect to make it run is a switched 12 volt wire (Ignition Key) and your ready to go. The GM HEI Distributor will clear the firewall of your 1971 Chevy Nova's engine compartment. The other recommended system for your application would be to run an MSD 6 Series Ignition (either the MSD 6A, 6AL or Digital 6), a Blaster Coil, PN 8202 and an MSD Pro Billet Distributor, PN 8361. This system uses a remote mounted capacitive discharge ignition and seperate coil. The advantage of the CD Ignition over the GM HEI Distributor is that the CD provides multiple sparks at low speed and is capable of higher rpm. Both systems will work fine for your application based on the information you have provided us.