PDA

View Full Version : msd6al with programmable timing computer

japanitz
07-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Can you please shed some light on what I need to do to my distributor to make it work with the MSD 6AL and the MSD programmable timing computer. Do I remove the springs and weights? Rivet it closed at what would be full advance? The distributor is a Bosch "009" series on a four cylinder Volvo. The trigger is a Crane XR3000. Also the 6AL triggers a control module to bring on retard when the nitrous is activated. Also the system is equipped with an AQUAMIST water injection system. Perhaps the last issues dont matter but they might so I have included them.
Your guidance please.
Thanks
Jon

msdtech2
07-23-2003, 09:57 AM
If you have the PN 8981 Programmable Timing Control you will need to lock out the distributor so it has no mechanical or vacuum advance. Then set the engine at total timing, and then program the curve through the timing control. If you currently have a timing control that has a retard, you can remove this control and just use the PN 8981, which also has a single stage of retard for nitrous application. You will connect the Crane to the white wire of the PN 8981 and the yellow wire of the 8981 will connect to the white wire of the MSD 6AL. If this is correct let me know if not give me the exact part numbers of the MSD Unit that you have.
Thanks,
msdtech2

soslow02
08-19-2003, 04:30 PM
I have a Digital6 6520, an 82805 distributor, and a 8981 timing computer. I noticed some of the features are redundant, and I had a couple of questions.

Both of them offer a single-stage retard. Should I use the digital 6 to retard, or the 8981, or does it matter? Also, could I wire them both up and create a dual-stage retard?

Also, since both have a start retard, which should I connect, and, since the start retard is adjustable on the 6520, could I wire it as a 3rd retard stage?

Are there any other tips or suggestions I may need to know when using these in combination?

Thanks,
Paul

msdtech2
08-19-2003, 04:51 PM
It does not matter which single stage retard you use, and you can even use it as a dual stage system, by connecting them together you could total both of them together. The start retard feature can only be used as a start retard, it will no longer come on after 800 RPM's for the 6520 or 1300 RPM on the 8981 timing control, so it could not be used as a 3rd stage.
Thanks,
msdtech2