PDA

View Full Version : Engine Knock Sensor

torque
01-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Hello I'm ANDY ,I want to ask about engine knock alert PN 8964.

Can it used to my motorcycle single cylinder. my standart volume engine is 110 cc now i'm up grade to 210 cc , so i must setting my MSD CDI SINGLE CYLINDER very good so i want to try this.

This is easy to install ? where i must put the sensor ? near cylinder head ?

THANKS

msdpstech1
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello Andy,
The knock alert and knock sensor you are referring to is normally used on automotive applications but this is not to say that it would not work on some motorcycle engines. The problem with smaller motorcycle engines specifically single cylinder like yours is where to mount the sensor. The knock sensor is normally threaded into the block of automotive engines. These engines have thicker casings then what are normally used on motorcycles. This is where the problem lies; where on the case would you drill and tap a hole to mount the sensor? I don't think there will be any place on your engine thick enough or strong enough being that it is either an aluminum or magnesium case to mount the sensor. Are you concerned that detonation may become a problem or have you seen it already? Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

torque
02-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I think I can put the sensor at cylinder head, because my motorcycle already modified , standar volume is 110 cc now 210 cc so a lot of heat so it is difficult to set up the ignition timing so i think i can use the knock sensor. Because some times the knocking so loud if i open the throttle at top RPM .

I'm not sure it will run because i see at the spec it will be fit at 4, 6 , 8 cylinder.

I think single cylinder can also use because the sound of knocking is the same right ?

How deep i must drill to put the sensor ?

Thanks for your information Bret

msdpstech1
02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Hello Andy,
To install this, a hole must be drilled and tapped for 1/4 inch NPT fitting. This is the thread type on our knock sensor. Normally this hole is through the engine case which allows sufficient thickness to thread the knock sensor. Another issue you might run into is there may be so much noise from your engine that you will never get an accurate reading. In my opinion I don't think a knock sensor on this particular application will benefit you. Thanks, Bret